Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even Prelim Surgery is filled so quickly! - realist123
Those who spread the nonsense that this or that specialty is less competitive actually no nothing about the actual process of matching in the US.
My final conclusion is that for every position from any specialty there are hundreds of candidates and that holds true for preliminary surgery as well.
SOAP is a false hope and the Match is a big Mismatch where scores and connections only matter. One needs to have either of them or both.
Know the reality earlier rather than later and save your future.
I am already in a much secure position and was just trying my luck but those who pin high hopes on this residency gamble without having a back r really without any brains.
The residency programs even do not pick up the calls if you call them and that shows that there is no dearth of applicants for them.

Do not play such a big gamble in life if you lack high score of strong connections.

I somewhat agree with the connections thing. I know a person who took 7 years to graduate medical school, is an UMG, had a really low score on step 1, avg score on step 2, passed cs on 1st attempt, switched between 2 medical schools, never graduated college in the USA, and had only 1 interview. This person did a 1 month observership/rotation at a hospital with a residency, and got an interview there and miraculously matched in IM. The person made a positive impact on the PD and was granted the interview and matched. Connections or making the right connections at places with residency programs really goes a long way.
*IMG* not "UMG" sorry
Don't be mad at programs directors/cordinators. They handle thousands of applications & have a short period to make the right selections.
If you don't have good scores, try to work on your personality. It will help you create connections. It's that simple!
I didn't have great scores ( 210s & 220s) but I made sure I have to impress at interviews and I believe that's what got me in.
Thank your stars you have something good going for you outside residency, that way you can make way for those that have all their hopes in residency.
Mind you, resilience pays
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »