Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visa problem - xavierb
I have a friend that matched into a program that does not sponsor any visas. The problem is my friend told the program he is a green card holder(which is a lie). He can stay in the US for a year but after that, he has no idea what to do. What do you suggest? Should he tell the program or just wait it out?
'your friend' can't even start work, staying in the US and being able to work is different story.
He/she is gonna lose that position soon after paper work starts.
Man this is a sticky wicket (had to do it with the World Cup and everything). Lying was probably not the best thing to do but I suppose nothing can be done about that now. I would tell your friend to immediately consult with an immigration attorney and get advice on if there are any options to secure a longer visa or some expedited process he can do to secure legal resident status. Undoubtedly the program will most likely be upset with the misinformation your friend provided. I can't comment on exactly how they will handle the situation. Might drop him from residency or might not...it depends. Not sure if your friend will be able to slide by for a year without disclosing his visa issues because I'm sure it has to be disclosed for licensing purposes. If he can get away with starting residency then he/she should because there's a contract in place at least for the first year. After that in not sure what will come of residency. My bet is the program will be more upset about the lie then actually the visa issue.

GL
Also I'm not exactly sure about his but I think you can get a visa sponsorship through ECFMG...maybe something to look into. Again I have no idea as I'm a U.S. citizen but other people have mentioned it before.
It's a felony. IMGs lieing and due to this other potential candidates have to suffer. I have reported this thread to nrmp. They are tracking the IP and contacting forum.
That is NOT cool! Huge mistake!!! How did your friend think the program will not find out and he will go through with it??? This is so ridiculous! No wonder why some programs don't want to accept IMGs anymore. This is also the reason why some programs require applicants to bring to the interview proof of legal status in the US. SHAME on your friend!! This really gives bad bad reputation to all IMGs out there.
That's a fraud. Citizens should be able to work first. You have frauds like this taking spots away from citizens
If the program sponsored visa, that's one thing. But it doesn't. Your friend is probably screwed. He's not going to be able to get through undetected 'cus he's got to submit paper-work for employment (including his non-existing GC) before starting. If he's got an EAD, tell him to fax the program with the info - it's better to admit it now than waiting for later when he might actually be even more screwed. Hopefully, PD will be willing to work with him.
why did he do this? He might've screwed himself for good.
Lie is one thing
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »