Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pgy 2 transfer - pgy2000
Is it possible to transfer as a PGY 2 in IM how hard is it? and is it possible to transfer to another program and start of as a PGY 1
yes but it is difficult. to transfer as a PGY-2 you need a LOR from your PGY1 program director. but 3 months after you start your PGY1 year how can you ask the PD for a LOR to transfer? so it is very very difficult for that reason and all PGY2 REQUIRE that PD lor.
it is possible to transfer and start as a pgy1 but again its difficult. if you wanted to transfer from PGY1 IM to another PGY1 IM after already completing your PGY1 year you will not receive salary for one year. GME only provides funding total for the number of years your initial specialty is. so IM is 3 years, you only can get paid for 3 years even if you repeat a year. so you have to find a program who is willing to not receive funding for yuo for one year (you losing salary for the year means the program also loses funding for your spot for the year). its not impossible, i did meet 2 people on the interview trail that were doing that this year...i know 1 matched because of a connection...dont know what happened with the other, but again its not easy.
thanks sys for the reply, so how would you go about it to transfer from program as pgy2 to another one as a pgy2 also is there a process, should i contact the program i want to go to? how do i find available spots?
its hard to find openings.

a suggestion i have is, email some programs in the area you prefer and just let them know that if they have an unexpected opening, then to keep you in mind and attach your CV
http://apds.org/education-careers/open-p...s/#job3045

that website usually has PGY-2 openings
oh sorry thats for surgery nevermind
pgy2000,

This is a good source for open positions https://www.residentswap.org/residency_v...ummary.php

Why do you want to get out of your program?

My wife has a very good job in Miami and she can't move with me, I matched in NJ that's why I would want to transfer
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »