Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice/helpful tips - naijamd
Being that I was fortunate to secure a match position in my second attempt ( Thank God) and through my journey I was fortunate to get very helpful advice and tips. I feel I should pay it forward.
So a little bit about my credentials

YOG: 2013 US IMG
Step 1: 201
Step 2 ck: 210
Step 2 cs: Pass ( 2nd attempt)
Step 3: 208
no. of IV: 12 ( 7 FM, 2IM, 2Psych, 1 Peds) No connections, no publications
Matched into Howard FM

As you can see my scores were all below 220 so yes it is possible
after failing to secure a match the first time, I was DEVASTATED. I took a month to have a serious self evaluation my step scores were my step scores nothing could be done about those. I had to find other ways to make my application stand out
I wanted to go into family medicine. I signed up for the AAFP conference which typically is help every year in August ( Please try to make it for this conference or any specialty conference you are interested in). In that conference, my network went into overdrive, i was basically a salesman selling myself and building rapport after the conference via emails ( got 4 fm interviews from that)
Secondly work on you resume. On ERAS where it ask for work experience, list every rotation you have done ever as a work experience, list conferences attended, list CME's you participated in ( I randomly participated in primary care CME's took the quizzes and all). It all helps as converstation starters.
If you have not taken step 3 .......... TAKE IT
Get meaningful volunteer hours in ( free clinics e.t.c)
As for the personal statement, make it perssonal. Program directors do not want to hear about how great family medicine is they are already family physicians and they already know how great the specialty is. Talk about yourself( I know cliche) but its the truth you need to tell the PD how your life journey has led you to this point and why your application is on their desk as well as what you want to do with your life in the future after resicency.
Also I would advice that everyone get the Iserson residency book ) it was so clutch in preparing for interview questions). remember during an interview you are "on" from the get go that book was on point all the time.
Last but definitely not the least pray. although we make all these plans and strategies, God is the only one in control so pray pray and when you are tired, pray some more.

Hope this helps

Hi Najia,

I need advise on a query. If you can plz contact me. Kashifk2008

Thanx Ira
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »