Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
low step 1 match - my story - nayapakistan
Hey guys,

i promised myself if I matched I would share my story here.

My step 1 was low: 205. When I got the score I was shocked as i was scoring in 220's on NBMEs. but i accepted it quickly, bad day at the office i guess, and moved on.

I did some observerships and research while studying for step 2. Studied hard and got 230 on Step 2, which is still below average but a big jump for me from step 1. Also took and passed cs on first attempt. CS is a tricky exam though so be careful.

anyway, when i applied I went for almost 100 IM programs, 50 family, 50 psych and cried at the money leaving my bank account lol. I ended up with 8 interviews total, 4 family, 4 psych and 2 IM. i'd say about half of the interviews came from "connections" in the sense that they were places where i did observerships or thru docs i did research with. so yes you do have to network and make a good impression, and overall I have noticed that people are very helpful as long as you take the initiative to get to know them.

put IM number 1 and 2 and ended up matching at an IM program. it is a small community program but I am still very happy that I at least have a shot at getting a fellowship after my very low step score. even if I don't get fellowship I will be more than happy working as a hospitalist.

Just wanted to share my story since I know many posts on here people are posting 240's/250's so wanted to show a different side with my lower score.

extremely happy and thankful to Allah for the match. if you have any questions or help on anything please let me know.
hi nayapakistan
how many months of of observerships u did ? what type of research u did?
Hi nayapakistan
I'm really impressed with ur success and hardwork
Can u plz give me some more detail about ur research n observerships
I'll really appreciate it ..thanks and many congratulations Mashallah
Please give me ur email id
Mine is Fareehaazhar2009
What kind of research did you do? What states were the IM programs where you got the interviews from?

Thank you for sharing your story with us and good luck!
Heyy many congratulations on your huge success! Quite impressive (:
Please kindly tell me how did u get in research? Did u contact the professors or did u apply for some research program? Awaiting your reply..thanks..JazakaAllah (:
Hey guys,

I cannot tlel you exactly where I did observerships/research because I'm not sure if the doctors I did it with would want their names on here. But I will say that I got in touch with an organization for pakistani physicians, it is called APPNA (google it). And they were very helpful. If you are coming from Pakistan like me I highly recommend getting in touch with them. My Indian friends have told me there is a similar organization for people from India. And I am sure same story for people from other countries.

My research was very basic and I had no publications. I just asked for opportunities in places with residency programs. And then I would network and get to know faculty and PD if possible. Majority of my interviews came from midwest Chicago area and New York area.
Hey nayapakistan, many congratulations !!
I'm really impressed with ur success !!
When it comes to doing research or observerships, usually Visa is a problem.
You need visa or have other status.
congratulations!!! very inspiring story for everyone..matched or not. Forget what other people credentials are, but just focus on yourself and work hard. There will be out there that will appreciate you for your hardwork. Great job!
Many many congrats!
Many many congrats!
Whts ur yog?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »