Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Story of my life! low score! - carlo2012
hello every one. Cong to people who matched and good luck for the rest who will work hard till next september.

Story of my life is what I am An IMG (YOG 2009, Step 1: 196, step 2:206, step cs passed, no attempt, match 2015 171 programs, 2 IVs one with connection and the other was new program, did not match)
can any one please provide some advice about how to improve my chances ? should i give up FM and IM and focus in Pysch ? what is better observer-ship or external ship ?

Please help and God be with you all nd help you as well :-)
Hi do you have an email address, I have similar credentials.
my email address is drkeroland
1. apply over 200 programs including im, fm, ped, psy. not just fm and im but when you rank the specialty, rank which specialty you like most. this way you can at least have a backup plan
2. attend conferences and meet more pd, residents, etc.
3. purse graduate degree like mph
4. continue to observe at good hospitals (residency training hospitals)
5. most importantly, never give up.

I know people with same credentials and got matched because of those advice above. good luck
nomad1095
Thank you so much for your advice , the problem is , i did not have any psych or ped LOR at the time of matching application,
what is important is step 3 or MPH ?
no letters....do observerships and get them...just need at least one for each specialty

mph and step (3)...are very important. pd like people who have completed their step 3 especially those with low step 1 and/or 2 because it proves that you can pass exams so they do not have to worry your abilities to pass them later in residency.

mph represents continue education as well as broaden medical knowledge that related to healthcare of the public people and how to use them in your practice later to improve the lives of people in your community.

follow those advice and make sure to attend as much conferences as you can to meet and let pd know you...representing yourself outside your medical knowledge, board scores, etc.

you will see more interview invitations if you follow those advice.
nomad1095
Thanks for this great advice, i really appreciate that.
when you get time, if you have any resources about online MPH who we can take it while studying step3 that will be great,
and also what do you think about residencyswao.org (Paid webite), is it worse to use ? this website make you updated about any unfilled positions outside the cycle !!

thanks a lot. You doing a great job by helping people and sharing your experience with them. It will get back to you one day,
God pays :-)
hey

mph at walden university is quite easy, but it contributed a lot to some of my friends' applications or you can choose one of those elite university to do your mph. doing mph and studying for step 3 are totally doable. you don't have to fnish your degree, but it still looks great on your applicatoin.

as for residencyswap i heard it is a a waste of time. i don't have any experiences with it, but strongly suggest you do not use it. waste of money and time that you can use those resources to apply more programs, travel to conferences, hire someone to edit your ps, etc. best advice is to follow nrmp unfilled list.

you are welcome. i am simply return the favorite that most people in this forum have given me. good luck. be strong and think strong. it's more powerful than any scores, lors, etc. i have great lors, transcripts, dean's letter, average scores, etc. however, i find it not to the most important factors. your strong mentality, great endurance, and hardwork are the keys to this residency. good luck my friend. you can do it!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »