Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is it all about contacts now - bumblebee09
Hi everybody. Congrats to those who matched. Those who didn't match, well we know how we feel. I'm an IMG with scores 230/240, first time pass, cs also first time pass, not taken step 3 yet, graduation in 2012, 1 month observership. I got 3 interviews. One of them was with a contact but didn't match. Is there any point in applying again with so many green card holders and citizens applying now and the pool of IMG's reducing drastically every year? Even if we get all the usce in the world, it seems that the only thing that matters really nowadays in having contacts, contacts and more contacts. Like for around 15 positions in a program, they interview around 300 people. And out of those 300 people somehow 20-30 people seem to have contacts.
I know I haven't really asked a question here, just a thought process.
I really wonder whether it's worth the time and especially the money to go through all this again, when the reality is that if we loose out again, we are again left with empty pockets and literally nothing to lean back on.
Yeah if your a citizen and have us clerkship experience it's better.
Contacts do help the most
hello bumblebee09,

do not give up..you have good scores...finish off step 3 before you apply for the next year (Make sure you have the step 3 scores by the time you apply)...and you will be fine...be smart in where you apply.
GL
Welcome to the world of Residency match bumblebee09! Yes it's tough to get in without any contacts and GC. But at last it's your decision if you have the perseverance to get through. And if its worth the time and money you will never know until you take a chance. I am visa req, have same scores as yours, graduated in 2010. I matched this year and this was my 2nd time. I had to borrow money from few relatives to apply and for travelling. I have lot of pressure from my parents to marry. I have 3 uncles who are physicians in the US who could strongly recommend me in residency programs but they did not. Contacts always don't workout. I sent many mails to physicians asking for obsies. I got strong letters from american physicians from places I did observerships which changed the game for me this year. Ofcourse step 3 was a good addition. In October I called up many programs I applied to, that I am very interested in their program and politely asked them if they could go through my CV. They took my ECFMG id. I was waitlisted at 2 programs and got 2 IV's in this way. If I didn't match I would have looked for paid research or returned to my home country to work. I was prepared for anything. Being visa requiring we have more options and freedom to practice anywhere in the world. It's very difficult for US IMG's who have their families in the US and don't match. I have friends who work in pharmacies and department stores to get money to apply. Bottomline, go to the match process with a very positive attitude which should be there even during observerships and interviews. Programs are looking for optimistic and happy people who can face any kind of hurdles. Make a firm decision regarding what you want to do and how you could go about it. Every body doesn't have contacts. They make contacts after coming to the US by being friendly, helpful and persistent.
Good luck.
I got matched with almost same scores and same yog except with some research in univ hospital and us lors.so never think to give up.clear step 3 and improve your cv.
@bumblebee09, you are right about the role of contacts. But that helps more to get an IV. It might help to have the position also in some cases, but in general it will help get the IV. once you get the IV, it's almost everybody's game from there. I Had 2 IVs, one with contact, the other without. Guess where I matched? In the place where I didn't have any contact. So, keep working on adding more stuff to your CV because you have great scores and your turn will come.
U r absolutely right.
My scores are 227/241, graduated in 2013, need visa, did 5 months of electives, started a research fellowship prior to applying, applied to IM and got 11 interviews and only 1 of them was with contacts. I matched i my 2nd choice and I didn't have a contact there. You should just do step 3 and get 230+ and possibly get more USCE or research. How many programs did you apply to? 3 interviews with your scores is strange.
@ okok, hoe to get USCE?
Thanks for all the support guys. Means a lot. I have decided to give it one more go. Like you guys said there is everything to gain.
@okok - I applied to 100 programs in IM.
Also does anyone know places in atlanta or chicago where I can get USCE? Preferrably atlanta.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »