Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help ! - batman429
Hey Guys, I have some concern which is eating me up from inside and I know I might get many negative comments here but I need help. So my story is-
I am an IMG with average scores 220 in both steps and passed my step3. I went unmatched last year and I have always been very passionate about Internal medicine and worked very hard for it. This year I had 7 interviews - 6 in IM and 1 in FM. I have put FM in the end. I got the greatest news in my life when I got to know that I matched. I was eagerly waiting where I did on friday where I got to know that I matched in my last option that is in Family Medicine. All my excitement was short lived as suddenly I got in terms with reality that I cant practice my passion that is IM. My family members are very happy that I matched and they were saying what if this was missed, I would have been unmatched. I want to accept my reality but somewhere down my heart still a bit sad that now my path is different. I need some help from you all regarding this aspect. I know I should be grateful to GOD but my passion for IM is just not dying.
First & foremost, congratulations.
That being said, I don't know how you want us to help you? Very many of us did not get what we wanted but in life, we don't always get what we want. FM & IM are almost interchangeable IMO. you should be grateful and switch your mind from being an internist to a family physician.
Some of us had dreams of being surgeons but had to grasp reality and choose other specialties just to be able to practice medicine again.
Congratulations once again & enjoy this life turning event!
I understand your feeling..

just think about the match and enjoy it... believe me.. that will not happen very often in your life..

look at the bright side.. and u will be a great primary care and will spend great time with ur family..

dont miss the moment..
@batman,

six programs passed you up, time to reconcile your passion with your credentials. Be happy you matched. 100s of IMGs have a passion for surgery, but end up doing medicine for the chance to live the american dream

thankfully you matched. Move on you can't do anything about it now
Thank you so much guys. I know I should be grateful for what I got but all these years I was seeing myself as Internist which suddenly changed. All my friends matched into IM and deep down I still feel wish I was there with them too but I guess thats what they call it destiny and no one can change it. Hopefully I will move on with time.
Do the PGY1 residency in FM then you can switch over to IM as a PGY2 , make some contacts in the same programs its easy
@mdoid I have some questions regarding this, If I apply to IM doing FM residency
1. If I don't match in IM next year then will the FM program still allow me to continue as second year resident after learning that I applied to IM?.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »