Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
@salvation_within - aprilck99
Hi, salvation_within, I saw on another thread that you matched into psych - congratulations!

Can you give any advice on what to do to get psych experience? I applied to IM and FM, had a few interviews, but unfortunately did not match. I'm thinking about applying more widely but do not have any letters or experience in psych. I will hopefully be able to get an lor in the next few months by observing a private clinician, but I don't think this will qualify as "usce". The problem, which I'm sure a lot of people face, is that as a graduate it is really difficult to get externships and observerships are almost obsolete at this point. Do you have any advice about applying to psych? Thanks!
Hi, april, sorry for the late response, I might not be the best person to ask that question, I got in because my strong publications, I did several month shadowing a private practice, very much like yours, just to show my commitment to the specialty. There are other people on the forum mentioned Saint Elizebeth in DC, and LIJ in NY offer these kind of opportunities, you might want to read on these threads. Also, there is one guy - @stylus98, he was racking up an impressive amount of IV very early on in the season, before any of us had anything. Then he just vanished, I sure hope him or people like him would share some insights on what they did. Honestly, I don't think their publication are as strong as mine, because I see places rejected them offered me IVs, so I am guessing they have very impressive USCE. I hope they would come out and share their experience and tips.
hey, thanks for the response! Did most of the programs you applied to want a psych LOR from the medical school you attended or were they ok with any psych doctors? I'm asking because I had an lor for FM and IM from my medical school but I would have to go back to ask about getting a psych letter. Is it worth it? Did you use any letters from those you did research with or was it purely psych letters from psychiatrists? Finally, did you do research in psych related things or was it in something else? I hope you don't mind all the questions!

I really wish others would give advice too! Especially those who matched...I understand they're probably so happy and relaxing/looking for places to live etc but it would be really beneficial to hear what they have to say.

Anyways, thanks in advance!
Hi, april, I have 3 Psy Lor, 1 IM lor, but in the IM lor, I told the IM physician to specifically say I am applying psychiatry residency, not IM, the reason I am doing it is to refresh my clinical skills because during PGY1 - you will rotate 4 month in IM, and 2 month in Neuro. Of the 3 Psy Lor, one is from the private physician I shadowed, which emphasized my commitment to the specialty, and mentioned I am working hard to refresh my clinical skills (being away from clinical setting for so long). 2 of them are from University Professors I collaborated on my publications - they are board certified, they are just not seeing patients, they are primarily focused on research. My research is related to Neuroscience, so I can actually tweak my PS to either go Neuro or Psy. But with my low scores and attempts, I realized long time ago, I need to focus on Psy, and I never looked back. And for my 'usce' experience, I wasn't allowed to touch or interact with the patient, because I don't have malpractice insurance, I am just observing, I am guessing yours is the same.

I echo your sentiment 100%, I hope more people come out reveal how they got their strong USCE profile, a lot of them already matched, I don't see an compelling reason why they are withholding the information.
thanks for the valuable advice @salvation
Thanks! I'm hoping for the best next year. Any other advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
Hi, april, one last suggestion, don't intimated by other people rol or iv school list posted on the forum, honestly, I don't think some of them are real. for example @gardening posted he/she had iv at North Carolina at Chapel hill, if you look at their resident roster - you won't find a single img on their pgy 1 to 4, someone is inflating their status, just do the best you can and let your mind be at peace - knowing you have tried your best. Don't go down the path of @realist, who has a total mental meltdown right now. Match or not Matched sometime is in God's hands. out of our control.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »