Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nurse Practioner VS Physician Assistant - usmlefear
Hi all
As part of considering other alternatives, which is a better route for a person with purely MD degree. Please shine some light on this. I would really love to hear the prons and cons of each. I have been doing a little research but i thought some people here might be in the same boat as me and might have also considered this options one point in time....any advise and tips please share... Also can a person with MD do the NP program? or do you have to be a nurse first before becoming the NP?...thank you in advance everyone!!!
You have to have a nursing degree before becoming a NP. I believe NPs have more autonomy and can work independently than PAs in most states.
You can't even be a CNA with your MD degree without training for it.
To be a NP, you have to be a LPN, then RN, then get a bachelor's in nursing before your masters. All these will take 4-5 yrs while PA program is 4 yrs.

In terms of salary, PAs earn about 2/3rd of NP salary
Physician Assistant is not a bad gig.
The salary is decent.
In the hospital that I work...PA's admit and discharge patients. Only that they are supervised by a physician.
How about going to an ultrasound school? Its only two year college. Any advice please.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »