Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get into Research? My story! - medico4usmle
This worked for me to get into research. I was in B1 visa and for 6 months.

APPROACH ONE:

Step 1:
-Have a nice
1)CV
2) personal statement
3) Cover letter
4) Recommendation letter (if you can get specifically for research)

Step 2:
-Select university/hospital which will potentially take you inside as a resident (base don eligibility)
-Go to their website and find all the faculty and see if their email ID is there. If not, PUBMED is nice source to get email IDs.

Step 3: Email all. Including PhD, co-ordinator, PD, Chairperson, faculty, residents etc. If you email 100s, you will get reply by 10s and positive reply will be 10-15. They may reply you to come and talk more

Step 4: Talk about your interests and long term goal to get into residency there.

Step 5: Work hard

Step 6: Ask for observership and letter of recommendation.

Step7: Important: get publications.

So, ideally will get research, observership, publication, LOR and possibly INTERVIEW.

APPROACH TWO:

Case series/systematic reviews:
-Benefit of this is you do not need institutional affiliation, patient population, data base, IRB approval etc.
- Much of case reports can be seen in PUBMED/GOOGLE SCHOLAR and other data bases.
- Come up wit idea (hypothesis), sit with your friends/study partners and do a literature review.
- Establish a data base
-Write an abstract for conferences or manuscript for journals
- "The leader who will come up with idea shall be first author" is the rule to encourage all people to come forward with ideas.
- Case series will usually take about 15 days/study.
-Systematic reviews will take around a month or two if you are good at it.

Email me, if you need any help. I DO NOT CHARGE MONEY. medico4usmle
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »