Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching to another specialty for next match? - eldagi15
Dear All

Please don't judge me based on my confusion or based on my dumb contemplation. Here is my situation, this was my first match and I applied to two specialties, one being my preferred specialty and the other one as a back up. Finally I ended up matching to the back up specialty. I am very much grateful that I matched but I am not sure if I would be happy practicing the specialty I matched to for the rest of my life.

Out of the confusion, I have decided to continue my residency for this year in the program that I matched to. But I am also thinking of applying next year to my preferred specialty if I can succeed.

Please advise me about my decision. What are the possible options and also the probability of switching to another specialty while working as an intern in a different specialty? and Please don't mind it if my decision OR contemplation is dumb or stupid.
It is possible
1) tricky part is applying for PGY1 next year as you would need LOR from your Program Director before Sept 2015.
2) You may also try for PGY2 positions next year in your preferred field.By this, you may not have to repeat the PGY1.
3) Also, swap can be tried this year too. It is worth trying! You may get into preferred specialty.
4) May be, after an year- you would like the program and specialty and continue!

I had a friend who did change in 2nd year and Program Director agreed without any problem.

Shoot me an email if you need any help. medico4usmle
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »