Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSN and PTAL on an H4 visa. - kiran402
Hello I am an FMG on an H4 visa and I maatched to a program in California. I have all my documents submitted for my PTAL except for SSN. I am unable to obtain a social security number as I am on an H4 visa despite showing my offer letter. What can I do apart from waiting for my J1 visa processing to be completed? I am afraid it might be too late then. Does anybody have any suggestions or alternatives? Really desperate here.

Thanks.
As simple as that, No SSN = No Ptal
Hi Kiran402,
I have a question, can we apply to California programs without a PTAL, because I heard that to apply also for programs in CA, we need a PTAL.
Can you please explain.
Thank you.
Someone was canceled his match in CA a few years ago cuz he could not finish PTAL process due to SSN issue. It's very risky to apply for PTAL and California without SSN.
kiran can we apply california programs without ptal?
i am from nepal, can u explain
Guys, YOU CAN NEVER apply for a PTAL without a SSN. There is a reason why not all IMGS can apply in CA because of this reason. YOU CANNOT apply to get a SSN with a B1/B2 visa. YOU CANNOT just apply online or submit documents online in applying for PTAL without a SSN.There is a detailed explanation for the PTAL that can be easily accessed thru the internet.

@kiran

How was it even possible that you applied in CA without a SSN. Programs in CA dont sponsor visas. The authorization to work wont be coming from your residency program because it is understood that once you have a PTAL, you have a SSN already
I applied for PTAL without having an SSN. I sent my application documents via regular mail. I have confirmation from Medical Board of California that all documents are received and all that is needed for my PTAL to be approved is SSN. I am hoping to get SSN once my J1 is approved (fingers crossed). My question was is there any way to get a SSN without waiting till my J1 process is completed?
hi kiran could u please tell me if we can apply in california without ptal , i plan to apply for ptal too...
@john, we need to begin an application for PTAL and have a letter from them confirming that the application is in process. We can upload such a letter on ERAS as a California letter. But there are very few programs that favorably consider candidates who do not actually have a PTAL in hand.
Hi Kiran,

If you dont mind can you please post your credentials beacuse I plan to apply in california and would like to know my chances of matching.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »