Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME form 2 - Behavioral Science - shine10
36. A 45-year-old woman with rheumatoid arthritis calls the physician on a Saturday morning because she cannot turn the bathroom faucet due to pain and weakness in her hands and wrists. She is tearful and says, "My husband has already left for work and my hands are too weak to turn the water on. It hurts too much and now I can't even take a bath." Which of the following is the most appropriate response?

A) "Come to the office right away and I will give you a cortisone shot."

B) "I know this must be difficult. Perhaps a plumber may be able to help you."

C) "I sympathize with you. Unfortunately, it looks like your only option is to wait until your husband comes home."

D) "Many people with rheumatoid arthritis have difficulty turning faucets. Perhaps you would be interested in joining a support group."

E) "People with rheumatoid arthritis often feel that their independence has been lost because of their pain. Perhaps using a tool with a long handle would help."
Should be A. Try your best to help your patients
I think the answer is E....You need should give her directions and ideas on coping with her disability
A I don't think is right because you can't tell your patient that you will give them medicine over the phone you can say I recommend you come in for a checkup
let me know what you think
Sorry! A is not right. As doctor need to see patiens first, then make a decision how to treat it.
Maybe E is right
What about ans choice D....
A is not write because as a doctor, you will never prescribe drug for a patient without seeing the patient and evaluating the patients condition in order to know the appropriate therapy. E...seems the most correct though D is near , but E IS MY ANSWER.
E.
i think it'd D
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »