Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
residency in california - preeti21
is it easier to get residency in california for an US img residing in california .average scores in step 1,2.
residency depends on many factors e.g YOG,scores,USCE and your visa status.no state is easy just keep working hard and improve your cv.
@preeti21 - just having gone through the match and going on all these interviews and hearing the feedback from programs i would definitely say that you are more likely to get more interviews from california than say from illinois given that you are a california resident. some programs do discriminate based on where you're from and where you're family is from since they know that you are more likely to stay in the area after you complete residency. but one of the biggest things in getting more of those california interviews is whether or not you have your PTAL. most programs won't interview you (even if you meet their basic criteria) if you don't have your PTAL on file. so i would get working on that if you wanna end up in cali.

@suralias - i would agree with you saying that no state is easier but programs do definitely take into consideration if you live in the state. with everything being equal/even between two candidates they will most likely pick to interview the person that lives in their own state over the other person. for instance my girlfriend got 5 interviews from programs in her home state. i applied to the same programs and specialty as her and got no interviews in her state even though my step 1 and 2 scores were much higher than hers. same thing happened to her as well. i got all these interviews in florida where she only ended up getting 1 at the same program.
yes i ll get my ptal by the time m gonna apply
It is harder, California has its own requirements, that include to have a PTLA, that is rely jar to get, time consuming, and very expensive, and with that in hand you gain the privilege to apply in the state, does not guarantee anything
To preeti 21

I am not writing this to discourage you rather i would like to be practical.
Its not impossible to get residency for its too difficult.
PTAL is only one of many criteria to be eligible to apply in CA program, but it all depends on your current visa status, your research publication, USCE & most important scores. I had an opportunity to talk to program director of medicine at stanford front to front, what he told me i dont want to discuss it here.

Anyways if you are a green card holder or american citizen then your case is favorable.

First try to do externship ( not observership).

Its better to do externship than observership as externship is a hands on clinical experience while observership is nothing more than shadowing ur doctor where he would not be ina position to evaluate your skill sets properly to write a GOOD LOR.

There is roger washington's clinic in santa clara, california, offer externship, which is a hands on clinical experience.
I did there & it was very much helpful to me.
I would suggest you to do this.
visit www.rogerwashington.com for more information.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »