Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USCE Puerto Rico - elena_cald
Hello!! I've just got an elective in Puerto Rico, I was wondering if it's worthy or not, The elective will be at infectious disease department, I need advice! It will be one month.
I know USCE is important but some friends told me an elective in Puerto Rico doesn't count as USCE.
I don't have step one and TOEFL so I don't have many options :S
Thanks in Advance!!
can you speak spanish and does the program have a residency program? --> then go to PR

if not don't waste your time and finish your steps

Thank you for your advice kash_md
Sure is helpful as USCE, you should do it
PR is considered an US territory and whatever you do there is considered USCE. If you speak Spanish it can be an advantage for you since you can also go visit programs that have residency and ask about positions. Pr also have programs outside of eras and the match where they still do prematch.
If you do not match this year you can also apply for a local internship( internado criollo) which is a full year in a hospital accredited by the liaison committee on medical education, this is a USCE as a physician and you can still apply for residency while doing it and most give an elective month which can be done in a residency hospital or wherever you can find it.

If you match after this it will be great for you plus you will be prepare for residency, be aware that most of this do not pay and some do but you must apply early and Spanish is a must. Another good thing is if god forbidding you do not match again you can use that diploma of internado criollo and get a full license in PR and work as a GP the island getting around 160$K or more. I hope it helps.

P.s: For me PR was a savior I am now doing residency but it wasn't easy.
Of course it helps. Now I think i will go on wih my elective, and prep my steps, then who knows. Good to know it. All of your answer encourage me a lot Big Grin
Thank you so much!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »