Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bitter truth - star_img
The fact from the number is that - out of 56K candidates applied in last match only about 45-50% of that got into residency. I have done dozen of observerships at walk-in clinics, community programs, university hospitals and a year later found that about half of the new residents in many of those places come from having some link to existing residents (same med school), doctors, PD. they sure didn’t look like 99 percentile to me and I am sure there were some repeated attempters on USMLE too. nobody talks about it openly but it happens in background.
Why does that bother you? What is the problem in that?
This goes on in every industry and every type of company in the United States.

If an employer is familiar with the type of accounting student that comes out of University X, then they will go to that Universities Career fair and try to recruit those students.

If a student goes to an international medical school with a history of graduating competent physicians ala big 4 caribean, RCSI in Europe, AUB in the Mid East, or the top schools in Pakistan or India...

That is the way the world works, get with the program.
why are you charging people money if you can't figure out the basics of residency and making contacts in America?

http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=786035

Maybe they don't look like 99th percentile to you because USMLE did away with 2 digit scoring

"year later found that about half of the new residents in many of those places come from having some link to existing residents" --> you can easily find this information on most residency programs websites if you look under the section entitled "current residents"

"I am sure there were some repeated attempters on USMLE too"

it is poor taste to ask about scores while doing interviews, observerships etc

It is detestable to try to estimate the scores and competencies of someone on an observership. I mean if it was a hands on elective, I'd cut you some slack, but you aren't an attending, you aren't doing the pimping.

I've done both, and there is a huge difference in how you can demonstrate your knowledge but I like how you have super powers to make the conjecture that there were repeated USMLEs.

Since you are so omniscient could you also tell us which exam they repeated? CS, CK, or Step 1, and what based on what you saw there estimated score was, please use 3 digit scores and not percentiles

Much obliged
bitter truth is you are a below average applicant, don't take this personally, but if your scores are below the mean for US graduates, then programs look at you as below average

http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=786111

Moreover, it is a shame that you charging people for whatever you are selling but you can't get into residency yourself

http://www.usmleforum.com/showthread.php?tid=786035

@kash_md - you speak the truth

@star_img - you might be bitter cause you might have not matched but don't ever assume that you're smarter or did better than someone else on a step exam because people will surprise you. and you don't know the real reasons why that fellow person matched. don't assume it's just cause they're from the same school. thats shortsighted and ignorant analysis. it might be that type of thinking and lack of analytical skills why you did not match.

also.. there's a reason why certain people from certain schools match over another person from a different program. there's something called reputation. for instance would you take a relative unknown from say "foreign country" or someone from a reputable school in the US. i would definitely take the latter and so would 99% of PD's in the states. it applies to almost everyone and everything. that's how the world works. noone gives an F if you got a 270 when they have a perfectly talented and apt applicant with a 230 from a program that's known to produce great grads. just like how i would choose to buy designer clothes over generic and choose to buy a mercedes over a tata nano. schools like companies build a reputation and like everything in this world people will choose known brands as opposed to relative unknowns.

and one last thing. you like every other img should be lucky that a country as great as the US is even allowing img's to enter their residency programs. they don't have to take you but they do. it is not a right to be able to practice medicine in the states but rather a privilege. so rather than bitch about the reasons why certain people are more likely to be taken just focus on your own application. know that you are a foreigner and that the US would rather take their own (citizen/permanent resident). and that is a great number 45-50%. that is ridiculous when about 10% of american med student grads don't match. that's the really unfortunate part that 10% not the 50% of the img's that don't match. so don't ever think it's a right of yours when you are not from the states.
kash_md and akim11...
well said..

hello star_img,
instead of complaining on why somebody with low score or attempts matched... try to understand whats the X factor those applicants have which helped them mtach into residency.. it could be anything from steller personality in interview, or a very good connection or great medical school or publications... the list can go on....
the bottome line is unless u analyze on why u didnt match u will not be able to move forwards... talk to the right people who have a good assessment skills and who have aleady matched and get thier advice... dont talk to loosers and be a looser urself.. nothing personal againt u..

good luck
absolutely true.. i completely agree with u... there r many merit worthy students who dont match.. and some unexpected people just get in making us wonder how the hell!!! that happens everywhere though.. but ya this is a bitter reality...
@ilovepathology - Maybe worthy to your own eyes but you know that does not count. Read @kash_md's post, there are some great points there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »