Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is basic lab research going to help?.....Pls anyon - cardiomyoapthy
Hi,

Is Basic lab research in Pulmonary medicine going to be helpful in getting a residency in Internal medicine?......Any input ll be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
Yes
it will only add to your application. it will do nothing to make up for a weakness. and the amount it will add is... minimial... unless you publish in NEJM or something

Yes when it comes with publications.
However make sure you have clinical experience with letters....those are the basic necessities. The research should complement that
If you look at many of the IMGs at the top IM programs a significant amount have research experience.

However, it is not a prerequisite, as top scores mean more, pedigree (where u graduated from) can get you into excellent programs without research

If you are an average applicant, ie below average scores, I feel like more Clinical experience if you can get it is more important as the places that value research experience probably won't interview a mediocre applicant

Problem with a basic lab is time consuming, so I would advise to seek collaboration with the other members in the Lab so you can be added as a co-author in articles that will be published as any basic research project that you undertake will take at best a year to be published.

Moreover, tell your PI, that you would like to "shadow" when he is doing his outpatient consults or its his time on the wards, as NRMP says programs what to see what your PI says about your clinical acumen.

I am in a basic lab, luckily, I have sought collaboration with the other lab members, and in 8 months have managed to publish 8 publications. If I was passive like the other lab members I would of had 1 or 2 publications at best.

I don't agree with having to publish in NEJM, there are many high impact factor pulmonary and CC journals that the average IM doc will not know about. Moreover, there maybe old projects that were not finished by previous post docs, closer to completion see if you can pick those up

my 2 cents.
Nice explanation kash-md! thank you
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »