Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
observership - cgal
this may sound silly..but what is the difference between observership and shadowing?
At the end are basically the same. shadowing is what med students and/or interns are assigned to do (initially)in a clinic. Watching the attending/resident take care of patient and of course participating in discussions about the cases. Technically is the same with an observership, but this is usually done by IMGs they can not have, hands on patient contact, not PE not charting, as they are not students neither are in training. Many members will tell you that externships are better because you have to pay malpractice insurance, and they guarantee hands on experience, I don't think that is accurate is more like a scam, as neither externship/observerships are recognize as valid training experience, but will help you to improve your application as a valuable USCE, and PD see it that way
Thank u @step3md.. I hAve seen in some hospital websites that they require 1 year usce but do not count externship or observership as usce..I don't get what they are asking for. For us imgs it's not possible to do anything else beside these..I just want to know that are these hospitals strict with their requirements or we can give a try..
I would try it anyway, but focus most of my applications in hospital that would take candidates With your same qualifications
thanks step3md
observership vs shadowing

basically both are same. In observership, you observe & in shadowing you shadow you attending.
You are not allowed to actively participate in patient care/management ( in both)
In that respect externship is better choice

There is roger washington's clinic in santa clara, california, offer externship, which is a hands on clinical experience.
I did there & it was very much helpful to me.
I would suggest you to do this.
visit www.rogerwashington.com for more information.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »