Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advise on my chances of getting residency - milkybar
I am an old graduate (2011)
step 1 in 2012- 194
step2ck 2015-220
cs -waiting for results, had 8 months of work experience at home country.applied for observerships and trying for research oppurtunities but dint get any.Getting very tensed on my residency chances,but i have no other option .
ARE there any other things for increasing my chances of matching atleast for nxt match?(2017)
take step 3 and keep looking for research. even if it means working for free. if that doesn't work try and volunteer in health clinics.

but just to let you know that the odds are against you, due to your real low step 1 score. most programs have a minimum cut-off of 200. so after applying just make sure to call as many programs and be persistent.
research means nothing this application cycle for you. It is june, by the time you get set up you won't be able to publish anything and will probably not be able to develop a relationship with your PI to vouch for you

you need US observerships externships research should be something to think about for 2016 not in the interim (6 months)

good luck
@kash_md - he is talking about 2017 match not 2016 if you read what he wrote at the end. so research will help.
akim11 I'm well aware of what he wrote and if you read my advice its well thought out

With his low scores he needs to maximize his clinical contacts, ie he/she needs to do as much observerships or externships as possible to demonstrate that they have the clinical acumen, the personality and at least 3 LoRs to maximize their opportunity to get into residency.

research is a filler to keep his CV going after accomplishing his Clinical Goals and if he is lucky get contacts.

I know more than a few applicants with low scores, who did research, and both are back in the home country right now, PDs at community programs don't care what your researchgate citation score is, they have never seen research in their lives. Moreover, chances are that PIs at research institutions aren't keyed in with PDs of community programs to help u get interviews there

If he is a carib graduate from a respectable school I worry less about low scores, as they do their clinicals in the US, but I don't suspect he/she is.

So again, I have to respectfully disagree, research probably won't help, just something to keep his or her CV going once they have exhausted all clinical opportunities.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2...t-2014.pdf

research is way down on the totem pole in terms of what is important.

They have other things that they can do to improve themselves that take precedence over research at this moment, first things first, 3 solid US LoRs

as you said akim his scores are really low and he won't get past the filter at the majority of places, i agree with you wholeheartedly, I know it is a very expensive proposition but the OP would be best served by finishing Step 3 as you said and trying to get as many clinical opportunities as possible in order to get past any filters

research will not help in getting past any filters

Im afraid very few programs will even look at your Letter of Recommendation or personal statement because of your VERY low step scores. Your only chance is to make contacts at residency programs. You should score high on Step 3 to show that you are capable.
akim11,kash_md-as you said i will try do my best in step 3 .
I am also looking for observships,sent mails and waiting for the rotation period.Actually i am interested in neurology but when i go through previous match details,my scores doesnot allow me get into that.
and as iam applying forobservership in neurology , responses are nil , but as i sent mails to other specialities,they are offering me.if i attend cardio or GE,will those LORs work for me?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »