Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need suggestions for joining research. - lifeisstruggle
I have recently been offered to join a volunteer research position at MGH ( teaching hospital of Harvard), but the mentor is an MD who is a clinical instructor by designation. Will joining this position help me during this year's match? Will phone call / email of my mentor have any worth/impact for my interviews? or should I keep searching for a mentor of higher designation?. I will appreciate any sincere suggestions.. Thanks a lot..
I would take it, at least until you get a better opportunity
I wonder how much can be worth of a clinical instructor's call/ email? or is it that the name of hospital predominates on everything else?. I know publications are the most important factor but in a limited time publication may not be possible.. please comment.. Thanks a bunch..
Clinical instructor will be probably more helpful than anybody of higher designation. My sincere advise will be focus on research rather than reference. Program directors want to see what you actually did during the time you volunteered. Your work will your reference.
Don't get obsessed with title.
The designation in Harvard is a bit. An instructor of medicine in Harvard =Assistant professor in almost every other university. in most medical schools you start as Assistant professor but not in Harvard.
hello lifeisstruggle,

there has been a lot of discussion on this same question in this forum before, i would recommend you look back to those discussion as lot of members gave in their valuable opinions.

I will try to summarize:
- most important: if you are an IMG with red flags then research will only help if your mentor has a strong say in that residency program. remember, almost every teaching hospital has research program with IMGs and getting a letter/email of recommendation is not a big deal. It could be from a big time research prof from a small institution or just a big university prog. The Bottom line is dose your contact have a say in the residency program?
- if you are an IMG with good to great scores: i would recommend you to invest your time in usce, but if you are interested in a fellowship then yes, with your great scores and research you can up your cv.
- bottom line is: IMGs with red flags on CV...my suggestion is only invest your time in research if you are sure to make a strong connection that would help you get residency.
- Research is good to get into fellowships
- Also remember that there are a lot of exception as well...but they are exception and they dont happen often.

Again, as I have said before in previous discussions....this is my opinion and experience....i cant tell you what do...its your decision. be smart.
GOOD LUCK
hello lifeisstruggle, SORRY PLEASE SEE THE CORRECTIONS IN THE 1st BULLET POINT and 5th BULLET POINT:

there has been a lot of discussion on this same question in this forum before, i would recommend you look back to those discussion as lot of members gave in their valuable opinions.

I will try to summarize:
- most important: if you are an IMG with red flags then research will only help if your mentor does not have a strong say in that residency program. remember, almost every teaching hospital has research program with IMGs and getting a letter/email of recommendation is not a big deal. It could be from a big time research prof from a small institution or just a big university prog. The Bottom line is dose your contact have a say in the residency program?
- if you are an IMG with good to great scores: i would recommend you to invest your time in usce, but if you are interested in a fellowship then yes, with your great scores and research you can up your cv.
- bottom line is: IMGs with red flags on CV...my suggestion is only invest your time in research if you are sure to make a strong connection that would help you get residency.
- Research is good to get into fellowships
- Also remember that there are a exception as well...but they are exception and they dont happen often.

Again, as I have said before in previous discussions....this is my opinion and experience....i cant tell you what do...its your decision. be smart.
GOOD LUCK
@step3md, @darkhorse, @nrmp2012, @mstar thank you so much for your valuable thoughts. I don't think I have credentials to match in a big program like Harvard or a university program. I don't believe if any mentor can have a say in any other program other than his/her own.. What is the matter of making connections in a program when you don't have any chances in matching that program? Will the community programs give importance to an LOR from a clinical instructor from Harvard?
Hello lifeisstruggle,

The answer to your question on importance of LOR from mentor depends on your cv.. if you have red flags in your cv then no..
But if you have a good cv then yes.

GL
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »