Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for IMGs accepted to non-IMG friendly res. - ncstevem
My wife is older (48) IMG PGY-2 in PEDs with 15 yrs exp. in Brasil and an excellent reputation in the PEDS community there. She somehow was accepted to non-IMG friendly program - probably through observership she did there and some strong connections she had with attendings.

Anyway she was extended twice as PGY-1 and was close to having her contract not renewed because of language skills and speed on the computer (EPIC). The program basically did nothing to help her in these areas even though she twice scored highest (by far) on In-training exam for all residents in program. Both scores were high enough to pass board exam.

She was told by 2 ESL programs before she started residency that her English proficiency was too high to enter their classes so it's not as though she couldn't communicate in English. Also she asked before entering residency if she could be trained on computer (she had little computer exp. previously) and was told she would be trained in residency which didn't happen.

Thankfully because of some English tutoring she received to help with accent reduction and computer tutoring she got from the IT dept at the hospital, other residents and an attending who is a computer wiz, my wife was promoted to PGY-2 and just received notice she'll be promoted PGY-3 in Oct 2015. Her PD told her in meeting this week that all her evaluations are excellent now.

Based on her experience I would advise IMGs entering residencies not known to be IMG friendly to make sure your English communication skills (speaking, writing, listening etc.) are good enough to communicate well with English speakers and make sure you get necessary computer training if your computer skills are lacking.

We have been told that IMG friendly programs are used to working with residents who have English as a second language so my wife probably wouldn't have had any problems in that type of program.

Good luck to all in matching and successfully completing your residency.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »