Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MGH vs Univ of Chicago research. - lifeisstruggle
Can some body please give some suggestion which one to chose from for volunteer clinical IM research from MGH ( harvard) and Univ of Chicago when the mentor at MGH is a clinical instructor and that at Univ of Chicago is a clinical professor of medicine.
Thank you very much..
Chances are the professor has more contacts and pull, but take that with a grain of salt.

It is quite simple, type in each doctors name in pubmed, see how much they are publishing and if their research interests you

I had a great research position paid at Johns Hopkins, I looked at a person who was previously with the PI, she published 1 basic research project in 2 years,

so look at see what they have done with previous volunteers how many co-authorship projects are available, and where those previous volunteers have ended up if you can

its june, you need to start immediately to have any impact for this application cycle, researchers want you to produce, and I imagine it will be kind of awkward asking someone to recommend you to residency programs if you've just started with them
Kash-med, how did you get the research position at Hopkins?
After an elective but full disclosure I do have contacts with several physicians there.

There are a lot unpaid / paid clinical and basic researchers at Hopkins.
Hey,

Just an advice, skip Uni. of Chicago, I spent a year working from 5 AM to 10 PM, all I got is a complimentary Interview, that place is not for IMGs, and most of the physicians there are in contact with physicians from Northwestern (Not IMG friendly either).

Anyways best of luck
leoleo,

could you tell us about how many publications you were able to get out and how receptive residency programs were in regards to your research.

did community versus university programs view your research in different terms?

any insights would be valuable.

thanks!
I published 3 and have 4 or 5 yet to come, when I applied last year I didn't have any publications, I have to wait and see this year, to make long story short, if you have good scores letters of recommendations and publications will help you, if not (like in my case) only connections will help ( working in the same place kind of connections).

And after all this is my personal experience, meaning you might have a chance there.

Regards
And community programs didn't care at all about the research
Thanks for the advice leoleo. Yes I've told many who don't have the profile for a university program multiple attempts etc Etc that research should be low on their priority list thanks for re confirming thAt

I'll have to push to get my publications out.

Thanks for
The advice
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »