Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would it be OK to do the following - ncstevem
My wife got four IVs for the 2012 match season. All four interviews went real
Sorry my 1 yr old daughter hit the key board and it posted.

Here's the rest of my question.

Because of my wife's medical background, she was told in 2 of the 4 interviews she could complete the PED residency in 2 yrs. She ended up matching to her first choice because it was close to our home in NC.

My wife's identical twin sister has almost exact same medical background as my wife - same med school, residency in home country, same specialty. She now lives very close to one residency which told my wife she could do US residency in 2 years. The PD there told my wife she was VERY interested in having her complete her residency there.

Would it be OK for my wife to contact PD at this program that her twin sister will be applying for residency there and that she hopes she has the chance to interview her?
I should add that this would be a good reidency for my sister-in-law because it's less than 1 hour from her home in MI.
You are asking about the 2012 match season? Anyone who matched in 2012 would have graduated last month (June, 2015) if they did pediatrics. Your question is not clear.

She can contact her but 1. She likely will not remember her (PDs interview so many people) 2. Her contacting the PD is useless because she doesn't really know her. PDs will consider her sister if she did her residency there and was a very good resident. But saying...hi you interviewed me 2 years ago, my sister wants to come there....unfortunately is not good enough.

I think your sister in law should independently contact the program and send her CV and say that she lives close by and really wanted to stay in the area and would want an opportunity to meet PD or do some observership with them. I think your wife should stay out of this because if the PD wanted her and she ended up matching somewhere else then I don't see why she emailing will help.

And also it is very common for PDs to say one can short track residency due to previous experiences. A lot of time there is a lot of paperwork involved and requires approval of ACGME. 80% of time residents end up doing the regular time.

Did your wife do two years?
I agree with what you say. Perhaps better if sister-in-law contacts PD directly and mentions she interviewed her sister (my wife).

Ironically the program my wife matched to is not IMG friendly, has a 2 yr. YOG (my wife graduated 1991) and still matched here in 2012. They extended her PGY-1 to 2 yrs because of speed on computer (she was never trained and learned on her own) and language barrier (even though before residency started 2 different ESL programs said she was too advanced for even their advanced class). So she won't finish until Oct 2016 because she also had 4 mo. maternity leave (she gave birth to our daughter at 47 yrs. old ?!)

Fortunately every evaluation is excellent for her now.

That's why I mentioned in another post for older IMG that may match to non-IMG friendly program, make sure English is good and make sure you learn hospital software for EHR BEFORE you start residency. Don't assume they will train you. They told my wife she'd getting training and never did.
Google - sorry original question was unclear. My 1 yr old was crawling all over me as I was typing so I was distracted.

Concisely - should my wife contact PD who interviewed her in 2012 (said she was VERY interested in my wife completing res there and because of her credentials said she could do in 2 yrs.) on behalf of her twin sister who will be applying for 2016 match. Twin sister lives less than 1 hour from this program so it is desirable residency for her.
If the first sister has not taken the position at that residency - then NO. Why would the PD listen to someone who didn;t listen to him/her
what hopefull said.

Your wife is not the right person to contact and could in fact potentially cloud her sisters chances.

@ncstevem No probs at all ... that's actually a great distraction to have!
Like others have said, it probably will not help your sister in law's case if your wife contacted the PD, thought this being the match PDs are used to good candidates matching elsewhere in more competitive programs. Perhaps your sister in law her self could contact that program director to express her interest after all that PD was interested in similar credentials in your wife's case in the past. I am guessing she will also apply in your wife's program - it's important to apply widely especially if YOG is > 5 years.
PS: Side note: In order to be eligible to obtain a medical license in all of the U.S. state boards I think it's advisable to complete all 3 years of pediatrics residency. I know many states will issue a license even at PGY2 but some require all 3 years.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »