Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HIV q2 - captan
An AIDS patient under treatment with a nucleoside analog and a protease inhibitor comes to medical attention with complaints of leg weakness and incontinence. His vital signs are within normal limits. Physical examination reveals reduced strength in the lower extremities with accompanying mild spasticity. There is also diminished sensation in the feet and legs bilaterally. Lumbar puncture shows: Opening pressure.....100 mm H20
Cell count................5 lymphocytes/mm3
Glucose...................48 mg/dL
Proteins, total..........33 mg/dL
Gamma globulin.......8% total protein
Additional laboratory investigations show normal hematologic parameters, vitamin B12 within normal values, and negative serology for syphilis. MRI of the head fails to reveal any focal abnormality. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
A. AIDS dementia complex
B. CMV polyradiculopathy
C. Cryptococcal meningoencephalitis
D. Vacuolar (HIV) myelopathy
E. Zidovudine-related toxicity
tough one but CSF findings normal so rule out B ,C
zidovudine cause low b12 which is normal so eithier A OR D

but MRI normal so may be not A

thus i choose D

@captan plz share source of your q ..nice q ...feel like i never read neurology ;-)
i don't know source ,one of my friend give me a couple tests on CD
nice q ...keep posting ...wats the answer?
The correct answer is
D. This is one of the most common neurologic complications of AIDS. Its pathologic substrate is degeneration of the spinal tracts in the posterior and lateral columns, which have a vacuolated microscopic appearance. Although the morphologic changes and clinical manifestations are similar to those associated with vitamin B12 deficiency, the pathogenetic mechanism is probably not related to dietary deficiencies. Since there is no specific clinical or laboratory test available for the diagnosis of this syndrome, vacuolar myelopathy in AIDS patients remains a diagnosis of exclusion. This implies that other HIV-related neurologic complications must be ruled out (see below).

AIDS dementia complex (choice A) manifests with progressive memory loss, alterations in fine motor control, urinary incontinence, and altered mental status.

CMV polyradiculopathy (choice B) may simulate HIV myelopathy and is a relatively frequent complication of AIDS. It can be excluded by the results of CSF analysis. CMV infection leads to neutrophilic pleocytosis in the CS
F.

Cryptococcal meningoencephalitis (choice C) would lead to signs and symptoms of meningitis. The CSF would show the fungal organism, which can be detected by special stains and culture studies.

Zidovudine-related toxicity (choice E) would lead to proximal muscle weakness and tenderness due mainly to a myopathic process.
awesome thanks captan
Thanks captan
all of your qs are fantastic
so helpful
cmv leads to neutrophilic pleocytosis?
it's mono nuclear cell predominance, not neutrophilic.

thanks captan for q n explanation
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »