Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help regarding search for job - groundzeroes
Hello everybody, since I've completed all my exams I'm at a point now where I need to find a paid job before the time comes to apply for residency. I'm sure that there are a bunch of other people here who are in the same boat so if we could help each other, that would be great. I have a question to ask you guys.

When you make your CV or go for an interview, do you mention that you went to med school or got an MD degree? I heard that if you tell them that you have an MD, they may consider you overqualified even for some of the hospital jobs. But then again, I heard that if you omit it, you may have to explain what you have been doing at that time. Does anybody have any suggestion on how to handle this?
I know what you mean, I personally had to visit a clinic, ask to speak with the physician and discussed an opportunity for employment as his assistant while I apply and wait for residency. That was the only way I could get a job in a clinical setting. I suggest you check craigslist and indeed.com. I got a medical records field tech job that pays $17/hr off craigslist.
@xavierb thanks for your help. Let me ask you this though. When you said that you personally had to visit a clinic to speak with the physician, did you contact the physician or send your resume ahead of time or no? I could try that myself but I don't know how successful I would be. I'm sure you had your resume and other documents brought along with you right?
Yes I brought my resume with me, but the first thing I did was to call the office asking to speak with the office manager or the physician. I introduced my self as a dr seeking employment( that got their attention and the office manager finally called me back) I then explained that I was a FMG waiting for residency and need clinical exposure. Finally I got to meet the Dr personally and explained my situation about residency and the need to financially pay my bills and the upcoming residency application. The Dr understood and was very nice...... and that's how I got a paid job at a clinic
I was like a medical assistant initially but after proving my ability to diagnose correctly and mapping out a treatment plan for the patients accurately, I was given more leverage. I saw all the patients initially, did hx and physical, ordered lab test( I did blood draw sometimes), diagnosed the patient and entered treatment plan on the EMR. The Dr just reviewed my notes spent a few mins with the patients and wrote their prescriptions. He also made changes and educated me in some areas. It was a beautiful partnership
@xavierb wow that's great. It's great to see that it worked out for you. I should try that sometimes. I did get a couple interviews so far so hopefully I'll get something.

When you were working in the doctors office, did you by any chance have malpractice insurance or did any paperwork in case of liability issues? im not sure how it works when you become a medical assistant so I'm curious to know?
@groundzeroes you do not need to do anything for malpractice insurance,the practice itself has insurance,
you are suppose to do those as described by xavierb which is supervise by MD.
I just want to let you know i am doing the same thing like xavierb in addition to that sometimes i do pap smear
first couple of months PA tought me how to do it but i got a decent salary as well.
But i started first like a shadow after doing 1 month Physician offered me a paid position,i worked hard first month,learnt EMR and follow him physical exam and mx plan,i used to answered his questions as well as patients questions sometimes,patients were happy with me as well those factor helped me to secure a paid position.
Now i worked for 2 days/week and preparing for step 3 as well.
Step 3 preparation helped me a lot for Mx and DX.
My status ECFMG certified,average score,us citizen, step 3 next month.
Hope that helped, i am happy to answer your question.thanks.
if u r interested send your resume to that email
astoriafamily
This helped me SUCCEED..FINALLY!:

This helped me succeed to get a definitive outcome (eml me at and put “IMG Doctor CLINICAL JOB Query” for immediate response)
@Xavier

Was this job in NY? Only NY can be so lenient in letting you do what you described above! lol
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »