Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
q3 - captan
A 31-year-old woman complains of severe low back pain after playing tennis for 4 hours. She begins taking ibuprofen every 3 hours but finds little relief. She is prescribed codeine for her pain relief. Her physician also prescribes misoprostol, since the patient has a history of a bleeding gastric ulcer 1 year earlier after taking ibuprofen. She has also been taking sumatriptan for frequent migraine headaches. Which of the following is the most appropriate advice for this patient?
A. Avoid dietary potassium
B. Increase dietary roughage
C. Use an effective method of contraception
D. Increase her daily folate intake
E. Increase her daily aerobic exercise activity
BB

tuff qs......any way......E...??
@validation ..i also thought E then i started thinking drug side effects

are you thinking she has fibromyalgia?
@med...i was scared to say the qs has very little info to answer it, because @ captan might say or at least think i am crazy. so i only said it is a tuff qs.

- my hallucination said.....backache due to muscle spasm...so exercise might work.
who knows....??

Thank you everyone !

The correct answer is C.
This patient has been appropriately prescribed misoprostol for the prevention of NSAID-induced ulcers, given the history that she has bled once previously with the use of NSAIDs. Since misoprostol is a prostaglandin analogue, it will counter the effect of NSAIDs on the gastric mucosa. However, as a prostaglandin analogue, it will cause smooth muscle contractions, including within the uterus, which can lead to a spontaneous abortion in a pregnant woman. She should therefore be advised to maintain adequate birth control measures while using misoprostol.

None of the other choices (choices A, B, D, or E) have particular relevance to this patient's health concerns.

tough q captan

thanks for explanation
@captan... thank you so much . i get it now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »