Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are my chances... appreciate all honest advic - docresidency2016
Wow, I'm so grateful for the feedback!
Thank you all so much.

I have no interest in applying to university based hospitals.
With that said, does that change my odds, as I'm only going to be
Applying for community based programs.

Once again, with the deepest appreciation, thank you!
@attempt:

>> the question was directed to kash_md.

Anyway, thanks for your insight & input.
I would switch it around FM with a handful of IM
Aspiring applicant, no better than most on here just an inquisitive mind

I have the fortunate insight of a few classes ahead of me and just reading the threads for the past few years during application season.

But I think the best way I've learned is by learning as much as I can on the internet its surprising what you will learn. Some of my opinions and they are opinions is because I've been through almost every program, I look at their IMG resident profiles ie carib non carib. I look at all the promotions see if there is any things I can glean ie a trend from a specific school, country etc etc.

I'll research their IMG students its easy to figure out their pathway. So if I'm interested in this caliber of program I'll do my research and see how did they get there. Did they do an elective there, did they do research at a big name, did they do research in house, or if no research I'll try to figure out YOG and then at that point I'll assume IMG, uni program no research = very high scores or contacts (ie impressed in elective or personal connection)

For example, lets say you went to a big name Hopkins, MGH etc etc. And you want to figure out how did this IMG from x country make it. You can figure it out easily by looking at linkedin, researchgate, pubmed, sometimes ppl will list what electives they took on their CV if you can find it.

I take what I've learned and try to impart my 2 cents for whatever it is worth

last piece of advice for the OP. from now till u submit your application, if you don't plan on shotgunning and applying to everything, and you are constrained financially go through each program (as many as you can), you'll find a few programs that are heavy IMG carib, they will usually say accept IMGs but require 6 months or 12 months of USCE or will say IMGs are ok but no visas.

Basically an unofficial way of saying no accents allowed. so take advantage of those situations!

Good luck!
*meant to say no better than anyone else on here
@attempt thanks. you've been a valuable level headed resource on this forum, and many posters owe a lot to you!

good luck to all! few more weeks

Wow, that is some amazing advice!
Thank you all so much and especially Kash!
Thanks a lot!!
thanks!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »