Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethical q- Refusing treatment for unborn child? - cappacinoo
From previous ethical questions I did in UW+kaplan+ ethical questions, I thought if women refuses treatment for her unborn child then no one can do anything as she's the one carrying the fetus, and we can start treatment once she has delivered the baby. So we don't need to go to court or ethical committee. Here it says go to Court and inform her she is committing a crime?

Which answer is the correct answer for the USMLE?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19. A 26-year old pregnant woman went for antenatal check up. Sonogram revealed a 27-week old
fetus with erythroblastosis fetalis. Doctor recommended intrauterine fetal blood transfusion. She
refused the procedure. Social worker discussed the case with the mother. (Important

Next step in management: doctor should receive a court to do the procedure which will help the
fetal condition.( A HIGHLY DEBATABLE ASPECT.

MOTHER IS LIABLE FOR WITH HOLDING LIVE SAVING
PROCEDURE TO VIABLE FOETUS WHICH DOESNT PUT THE MOTHER AT RISK OF SERIOUS DAMAGE.

HOWEVER AMERICAN OBSTETRIC ASSOCIATION MENTIONS NOT TO DO ANY OBS PROCEDURE ON REFUSAL OF MOTHER. MOTHER SHUD BE TOLD THAT SHE IS COMMITING AN ASSAULT AND THE CASE BE TAKEN IN COURT.
can you write the question completely ?

Hi, yes, I posted the full question, which starts with 19.
anyone know?
I think she can refuse the treatment.
bro, the mother has the right to do WHATEVER with her body.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »