Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
paid externship vs observership vs medical assista - jen11
USIMG, just graduated this year. so i am not eligible to do clerkship rotations in US. Which of these 3 would a PD view as the best USCE? paid externship (like americlerkship, medclerkship, etc) vs observership vs medical assistant? Thnx
Hmm, Externship you will pay a lot because you have to pay to live and pay for Malpractice and then the fee to join it but it usually gives hands on ( make sure its hands on) then it would be a good thing for applying

MA is good if you can work here in US, at a place you have interest in the specialty, since you can build contacts and have some hands on.

Observerships are free and usually not considered hands on but I would still do one
thnx student 1960! yeah i cant afford those paid externships. the ones i see are $2500-$3000 a month, not including basic living expenses. i grew up in Florida and its easy for me to get MA job there, even though the pay sucks. but i dont think an LOR from working as an MA means much to a PD. so i will try to do an observership at florida hospital, miami jackson, or a private clinic and just work as an MA on the side, so that i dont starve to death. good luck with your match student 1960
So do MA (Yes you can get a LOR there my clinic does because this is also your work ethic and some clinics use Physician MAs at a higher level than regular MAs)

and Observerships and get LORs from that, Tip, collect LORS, as many as you can and use the top 4

GL
ok thanx for info student 1960. i will do both MA and obsies
Get the Observership lined up, call and email programs in Jan after the new year, the problem with the match is timing wise you will need to have LORs and experience ready by August/September time for application. So you do not have year but 8 months. I would definitely apply 2016-17 Match season with what you have
If you do not ECFMG cert this too is high priority
good advice about planning early for USCE and LORs. yes im trying for sept 2016 match start.im kind of in a time crunch. i actually took my Steps backwards (i passed CS first, then 2CK-but i only scored 212Sad and now studying to take Step 1. Step 1 is SO much harder than step 2CK for me. i only scored 181 and 188 on two NBMEs so far. US citz, planning to apply for psych and FM.God help us all to match
OK, I do not think you look too bad here, Step one is a beast, it about killed me, I did not take my time and rushed so I have attempts, do not fall into this hole, if you plan now to take the beast by June you are good.

Tips: USMLE World is awesome for Step one if you did that already then do Kaplan, do not be cheap here, pay for the whole time up to the test (Like 6 months) its worth it. Kaplan review course, I took it live and felt it was not the books are enough.

I would advise take the next 6 months study 6/7 days a week ( like 4 hours a day 4-5 days with one long 8 hour day and 1 day off) this should prepare you, its how I finally got my groove on the USMLE myself.
well i admire your perseverance. i now regret not taking step 1 before step 2 ck. if i studied for step 1 first, i think i would have done better in 2CK.but oh well, that ship has sailed.but hopefully, come match day, we will all have a place at the table.thanx again Smile
Nothing like USMLE questions at 6am every morning with coffee then get ready for work LOL
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »