Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options for IMGs who have to live in the US - risperdal
Few skills that you need for being in Clinical Research field ( I worked as a research assistant since 2006 till now @ Emory)

-SPSS software ( This is so key because this will help you in doing basic statistical analysis)
- Pubmed/medline/database search skills - Most of good university health science libraries offer free sessions on mastering this skills. If you database search skills and strategies are superb then doctors love to keep you in team. For your info- this is not easy as a google search. There is a thorough scientific method to learn here and you need to be trained.
- Citation software - Zotoro and End note. ( Any researcher will know the value of knowing these software because it is a very important aspect of clinical research).
- CITI certification - Get certified for human and non human research. It is free and it is valued in the research community.
If you want to do bench lab work then getting Animal handling certification will help a lot because most of wet lab research that involves handling animal models and tissues need people who knows how to keep, feed and handle animal models.
Finally - Good scientific writing skills. When you send your resume it is important that you send a copy of your scientific writing sample. Resume and cover letters are not enough. A good writer is always needed in research teams since you will be able to submit proposals and eventually write your own papers.

Having all these under your belt besides your medical degree will definitely help you get a Research Assistant
position with a principle investigator. Having a medical degree is not enough to prove your research skills. These are current skills needed by good universities and it will help you connect with a doctor who need help with her/his research.
I love how you all throw around PA and NP like its easy
It will cost you almost 100,000 USD to get though either one.

NP is Nurse Practitioner and it requires a 4 year RN degree first then 2 years of NP last time I added thats 6 years

PA is now a 6 year degree too 4 years of a BS degree and then 2 years of PA school

Foreign degrees do not always count towards the PA program

a Degree in medicine means nothing for RN ( Nursing) Nursing school is considered different than Medical school.

You are all talking about exactly what every one talks about every year at the end of the match

Those of us who do not match end up with few choices

MA
Scribe
Sales
retail
Fast Food
Cab driving

There is an option to go to a DO school and practicce medicine, they will take your education from Overseas too, but it means again large loans and medical school.

Look we say over and over its tougher and tougher every year

We are not making it up

GL
lehman college in bronx md to np program 3 years is very good option i think. fiu or fau in florida also does same thing. my friends wife joined that when she could not pass her step 1 after 4 attempts. very depressing to give up after all the schooling..
http://www.lehman.edu/graduate-bulletin/12785.htm

Could not find this program
http://www.pookie.io/jobs-for-md-to-np-p...e393d42f05

Only reference I could find and you have to have a BS degree according to this

Missouri had a new law passed last year in which those who have an MD degree without residency can start practicing as Physician assistants. You should look into it
@student1960 your MD is way more than BS. People like us, who chose to go with RN path will do accelerated program, depending on year of graduation, some prerequisites to RN will be counted. I applied to about 20 RN accelerated programs and they all accepted my MD degree with 180 credits (regular bachelor's degree is 120 credits) but applicants need to do WES evaluation or equivalent. Accelerated programs usually 14-18 months depending on the school, then after BSN students can do MSN and become NPs which in total will be 3.5-4 years and not 6 years as you originally predicted.
PA schools are a bit different, they will count some credits toward prerequisites, some not. I don't remember the name of the school in TX that would allow FMGs to pass PAs qualification exam or something similar and if FMG passes then only clinical rotations are required and their final PA board exam, that would cut the program to 1 year or so.

There are other options, like clinical research coordinator, becoming CRA (monitor for pharma company), with the pay way above MA or scribe, just look those up. Some CRO and pharma companies constantly hire for CRA positions even without experience, the pay starts at 60K and like one of my friend CRA says "Only sky is a limit"
where we can search for these jobs CRA or clinical research coordinator
Is there any other DO school that accept foreign course work but don't need MCAT/other prerequisites ?
There are no other DO schools than the NYIT EPP program.

Best bet for someone who is not yet ECFMG certified is to work your ass off to get good Step 1, 2CK scores and then apply for a residency.

If you failed at that then you probably need to find another career that satisfies your interests. There are many opportunities in the field of medicine, but you usually have to go through the same steps as any applicant (exams, bachelors degree etc.) if you want to have a new degree.

Some examples of fields within the medical sector:
Research
Psychology
Audiology
Occupational therapy
Physical therapy
Pharmacy
Optometry
Public health
Nursing

Obviously you could also choose a field outside medicine.

My point is that there are so many options, and there is no substitute (or optimal plan B) for an MD career. You have to follow your interests and find a new career in something you like.

Work hard and you will achieve it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »