Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank Order List 2016 IM - ranjit_buttar
Hi Guys...Rank list is going to open and lets help each other again. Please help me rank following Internal Medicine programs:
Toledo University
Cook County
Macneal
Hurley Medical Center
Depends on what you are looking for

If it was me,

Cook county stroger
Toledo
Hurley
Macneal
If it was me,

Hurley
Macneal
Toledo
Cook County (ghetto)
thanks hardsigns for your useful comment. Can you please elaborate on why so, between Toledo and Cook County and between Macneal and Hurley.

Toledo, Hurley and Macneal has 12, cook county has moe than 30 residency positions
Pros of ToledoU: University program, well-funded, in-house research and fellowship opportunities, residents are protected and given time to study and do research.
Cons of ToledoU: the place itself, would be hard for my wife to find a job here as she is in non-medical field.
pros of Cook County: Excellent location, in-house fellowship opportunities similar to Toledo, well-known hospital
cons of Cook County: has a reputation of being malignant, work load is very high,

Similarly, Macneal is in Chicago while Hurley in Flint (bad location). Macneal is more of a private small program while Hurley is public. Here the program difference is not much so I would pick MacNeal above Hurley.
I basically want to know Toledo or Cook county?
Happy wife, happy life. Lol. Cook > Toledo.
thanks krosfingaz..my wife has been very supportive throughout and has allowed me to take a lead while she can take a career hit. So, when i graduate form cook county or Toledo, which one has more reputation and helps in getting fellowships in-house or elsewhere.
I rotated at stroger. While it is known for being a malignant program the diversity of pathology is excellent. Anything and everything from Chicago's inner city ends up at county. It's a a pretty academic program. The affiliation with rush is strong. Residents are of high caliber.

Although it is a a county hospital after all and is not well funded. I can't comment about toledo. A university program is a university program after all. Macneal is a small hospital near chicago. I don't know about the training but the fellowship prospects are not too great.
I have a friend doing residency in Cook with fellowship aspirations. Cook has a very good reputation. Malignant maybe but training is very good. Dont know anything about Toledo.
I think she also mentioned cook has a month research elective that could be done in Rush.
If you can deal with malignancy then put Cook above all else.
Also remember if you need a fellowship the PD of your program needs to sign off on it.
If you can't play ball with faculty members of a malignant program then getting a fellowship is really hard.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »