Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got an interview but already prematched - jjrodz
It's not possible to edit posts. Adding this to clarify that I wish OP all the best. I read as a little cynical at times and that may not come through.
you are playing with fire boy.......sign the prematch contract and move on with your career. To be frank, you have no idea what a privilege it is to be offered a prematch and that thousands of applicants are praying you reject it, so that the prematch is then offered to them.
But you could've at least applied. I applied to programs and specialties I didn't "like" or "had no shot in". I think I have to come to the realization that I might never be a surgeon and have to "settle" for IM. Don't get me wrong I can do IM but Surgery is something else entirely. This is the first year I get any interviews at all but I have been working very very hard on observerships in different hospitals to get those spots. At this point there's a lot of physicians (resident and attendings) in different places who have sort of "adopted" me and are rooting for me to get into their program. One can't help but feel a little dishonest in the long run. I know I am going to let people down. Imagine you are in my position and they dangling that carrot right in front of you. It's not as easy a choice as some of you make it to be.
if wait too much to sign the contract the prematch offer will expire. And don't even think about signing the contract and staying in the match to see what happens. You will be banned forever. Just saying.....
And also keep in mind that an IV is NOT a secured spot. They interview >10 people for a single residency spot. If you worked hard, made all these amazing contacts and ended up with only 3 or 4 IVs, well, I am sorry to tell you, but you should be thankful that you got this prematch offer. I don't understand why you are so conflicted. Seriously, you have very low chances in the match. Think about it. Another year will hurt you application even more. Also, what can you do exactly to boost your credentials? Surgery is an extremely competitive field and a preliminary spot is a dead end for most people. Be smart for god's sake! You are in no position to chose anything. It is tough, but it is what it is.
There are over a dozen different people that have already advised you take the prematch offer. I should know, I had 2 Step failures and I'm an old IMG. I also got a pre-match offer in IM (malignant community program in a big urban city). I thought it over for about 1 day. Then I signed it.

I will be straight up with you. Lets talk about reality and being mindful of your situation. Forget about perceptions and expectations. Beggars cannot be choosers. The choosers are people with >240, no failures, recent grads, hands-on USCE, etc.). You and I are the beggars. We are so fortunate to even get a pre-match offer.

Many are starving and hungry with no IVs at all. With your persistence and hard work- you were able to get a hamburger. But you want the porterhouse steak. Fine. Go for the steak my friend. It seems you want someone to side with you about gambling in the Match for the prelim surgery spot. Its like the stock market. We are investors, but you sir- you are a gambler. There is a big difference between the two.

So go ahead, tell them to give away your IM prematch offer to any one of our many forum members here- who would cry in joy- just to get a pre-match offer. Roll the dice In March. You feelin lucky? I don't mean to sound like a prick. We all just don't want you to make a colossal mistake. But no matter how many of us advise you, just make sure that you and your family can live with the consequences of your decision.
burtonswix the offer cannot expire, the offer is already accepted verbally. i cannot stay in the match and sign, in fact I have to bring a printout of my withdrawal status.

boricuamoreno the spot is not going to go to someone else in the forum if I turn it down. That spot is mine. They have alternates in case something happens, those are people who are already interviewed. They offered it to me because in the PDs eyes I am a better candidate than them. I don't understand why we are so quick to humiliate ourselves in front of these people. The reason i got the interviews and the offer I did was because I was working hard and confident of what I was doing. One attending even said that "had the clinical maturity of an attending" Some PDs told me that people often do observerships and are too "shy". I understand this is fear not shyness. They are afraid of saying the wrong thing and not being liked or making a mistake so they don't do anything. But I am not afraid. In fact while I was doing obs I got interviews for other places and I would walk up to the Chief resident and tell them. "I cannot come in tomorrow i have an interview at so and so" Not in an arrogant way but in a matter of fact way. Eventually the other residents would know, the attendings would know, the PD would know. Because that's how gossip travels in residencies and that's how important I made myself while doing the observership. They knew they had me but they also know I wasn't going to wait around like a pendejo for them. You see I am a fixer, due to my experience I can get things done without fear. In fact during interviews I would tell them when they asked what separated me from other candidates: "Yo soy el que mete mano aqui". Now this might not work for everyone but it's what works for me. Because despite my attempts, YOG, or scores I have to trust that I am a good doctor. That's why they used to call me "El Duro".

I am 90% sure I am going with IM. I still have a little time to cancel the interview. But I needed to know. In fact I had no idea prelim surg spots where not that great. And that's why we ask, not to get attacked but to find out.
Mi Hermano,

El Duro?! LOL! I didnt know you are a fellow Latino! LOL. Mi papa is from Ponce, PR and mi mama is from Mexico. Brother, I did not mean to come off as an ass. I just don't want you to lose this precious opportunity. I have no doubt that you have 2 BIG piedras- we are the same! LMAO! Before med school I served a few years in the USMC. I know you worked your ass off, as I and many other Latinos have done in the past- and many are doing right now. So forgive me for my prior bluntness. I just want to see you succeed, man. That's it. I have no hidden agenda. Just get in where you fit in. Vaya con Dios and you can't go wrong. Best wishes to you.
You were actually a big help. There's nothing but love on my side. I rather have people talk to me straight. I know that I have a good opportunity here and like I said I am 90% sure I am going to just get it over with but there was no harm in asking. If it was the same specialty there would no issue. But IM vs Surg it's another thing. in this case it's not Surg categorical or even a position it's just an interview. I might not risk the match. I am going to inquire about signing electronically, and just sending a screenshot.
Ir is great that you are being smart and moving on with your life. I did not mean to criticize you or anything. Was only concerned that you would make silly choice. It is interesting to see Latinos in a forum that has always been dominated by other ethnicities. I don't feel like a minority anymore. Amyways, I totally understand how you feel. We work so hard, have so many expectations, that it might be difficult to understand that sometimes we just can't get what we want. However, you finally be a physician in the USA. It is the dream of every single person in this forum, regardless of specialty. Everything will be alright. Good luck!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »