Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help - vidhi
im an img working in my own country.so im not able to take any vacation to have an observership in usa.. i have done upto step 2.. i was just asking if its possible for an img to get interviews with a cv without observership /research?
first thing: r u done with CS?
ans of ur question: yes it is possible coz there r many programs which do not 'require' USCS. they say that it is always good to have it but not mandatory. so if u fit into their other criteria, it is possible. U just hv to find right programs. also it depends on ur score & LORs.
How probable? I don't know, but Possible? Definitely.
no im due for cs in mid year..the LOR need to come from US based hospitals or it can come from my own country?

and how do i find the programs? i mean should i come to us personally or i can find it online?

thanks loads pawan for replying;-)
USCE is not mandatory to apply to any program. It is also not a filter on the application. If you have high USMLE scores, by which I mean greater than 240 on Step 1, and an YOG less than 5 years (3 for some programs), your application will pass the filters and might get looked at. Whether they call you for interview, or during the interview what answer you will give when queries about USCE, it another matter.
additionally i will add that you can have LOR's from doctors in your home country, but they MUST be supplanted by an LOR from a US physician. Preferably if you have three LOR's, two should be from US-based physicians. This matters when reviewing your application.

However you can get 3 LOR's from physicians in your home country to satisfy the ERA requirements and complete you application. Residency programs PREFER some LOR's from a US-based physician though.

All the best.
thanks iluvmedicine;-)
i know i might appear stupid but i need to ask some more questions:
1) in which month i should start applying for interviews?
2) do i need to come personally to USA and apply for interviews?
3)how can i come to know about the programs available?

please do help me because i dnt have any idea about it
Ok firstly, you cannot apply for interviews...you have to apply to residency programs when the match season opens...the match opens September 15th each year. You should apply to 100- 120 programs to give yourself a good chance, which will cost $3000. You apply online. But when programs invite you for interviews, you must come in person to do your interviews. The listing of programs are on Freida, you can use your aamc id to login there. It will give list of residency programs by specialty. Then you can click on each one for more information, and you can also be directed to that program's website. It is extremely important to have step 2 cs passed 1st attempt, which you can only take in US, before the match starts. Also it is very important to have at least 2 LOR's from US physicians, and at least few months of clinical experience. Residency is very competitive these days, and your visa status also matters. If applying for h1b visa you need to take step 3. If j1 visa, then you have to apply carefully as not all programs sponsor j1 visa.
1 )Interview season begins around September 15th, most folks sent their applications in as soon as it starts.
2) You apply to interviews via the ERAS application, https://apps.aamc.org/myeras-web/#/landing. No need to come to USA
3) You find out about programs using FREIDA online : http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/educatio...nline.page? . Then you check the program requirements/more info by visiting webpage of each program.

Beware though that the whole USMLE/residency application process has now been turned into a money-making machine. IMG's should apply to over 100 programs in each specialty they want and it costs thousands of dollars.
thanks ramrez and iluvmedicine

do i need to do observership in US to have LOR from US physicians?

and if i ever have to apply for observership in hospitals, how to do it? i mean do i have to go personally in US hospitals and apply or can do it online?
yes, without observership noone will give you LORs but u can apply online for that. some hospital hv criteria posted as well. in some hospital u hv to go personally. most of those things depend on hospital. u can do observership in private clinics as well but hospital experience is generally counted more prolific.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »