Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we contact programs during SOAP??? - bighit
I would prefer not to state the number of positions my program has, however, I will say we interview approximately 10 applicants for every position available. We do not rank all applicants interviewed as there are some applicants who would not fit well with the program. We have ranked up to 140 applicants, and traditionally do not go past 50 on our Match List. Each year is a bit different - there is no magic number for ranking or interviews. We try to interview as many applicants as possible, and with so many who are highly qualified, it has become extremely competitive for most specialties.

Good luck to everyone!
@drcee
I am also a coordinator and I come on these forums to correct the HUGE amount of misinformation that is spread through here. If I can help just one person, than it is worth my time.

@mszzeta
WHY would you tell someone to contact when the NRMP clearly states not too? Last year our program participated in SOAP and ANYONE who contacted us or had someone contact us on their behalf was automatically eliminated (AMG or IMG).
Glad PCs are chiming in here. PC001, what would you say qualifies as an applicant not being a good fit? I mean if you brought them in for an interview you thought they might be a good fit at one point. What changes about that during the interview process?
@fammedtiger - glad to see I am not the only pc on this forum who tries to correct the vast amount of misinformation Smile

@doctordontstop - there are many different factors which may determine a "good fit" during the interview. You would be amazed how many applicants misrepresent themselves on their application by overstating their qualifications and experience. During an interview, if an applicant, say an IMG who has worked on research, has no idea what that research was about or the reasoning behind it, he/she is not a "good fit". Another example would be an applicant who comes in with an air of superiority and tries to overtake the conversation by throwing out medical knowledge (which may or may not be correct) he/she possesses. Remember, residency is about learning - if the applicant already knows everything (or thinks he/she does), he/she is difficult to train. These are just examples, there are others, but I think you get the idea.
wow great thread. Thanks pc001 and fammedtiger

I have a question for coordinators.
If a program has 10 spots, how down their ranking will be matched?
@pc001, thank you for your response. It must be very tedious to decide who goes on a certain rank. Do you use groups of people..say top, middle and low. It certainly depends on lot of factors, one of those is if your top candidates all ranked you first, you wouldn't go down at all in the list.

Would you be kind enough to share what might have been your lowest rank and highest in terms of matching the candidates? So in other words, what's the highest number that you had to go to match all your spots? Was 50 the highest you had to go to match all the spots?

Good luck to you too in gearing up for the incoming batch of residents!
@pth - There is no way to know how far down the list a program with 10 positions will go, or a program with 30 positions. It's all based on how both the program and the applicant rank each other. If a program ranks an applicant, let's say #3 on their list and the applicant ranks the program at the bottom of his/her list, it's most likely the applicant will go elsewhere (granted another program ranked him/her high enough on their list).

@letmeinwillyou - I believe the highest my program went was 46 (if I am remembering correctly). It could be completely different this year, or next, or the year after that. I believe the type of program makes a difference also. A Surgery program with 6 positions who ranks 60 applicants may only go to number 10 on their list, while IM may rank 100 applicants for 10 positions and go number 80 on the list. It's really hard to say as their are so many variables.

My suggestion is to put it out of your mind - I know it's very, very hard, however, it will be what it will be. It is out of your hands now and all the worry and analysis will not change the outcome - it will only create more anxiety.

I do wish each of you the best of luck on Monday!
@pc001 - Thank you for your detail reply and wish for successful match. I hope I match on Monday.

Yes thank you so much to both of the PCs who chimed in here! That was so awesome :-)
You are most welcome! I am sure many pc's would be glad to answer questions honestly, to dispel the myths that exist on this forum. It is an overwhelming process and I am sure quite confusing for some applicants.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »