Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to fill gap on Cv - allama
I m 2008 graduate.i did 6 months practice in my country till November 2008 and then came to America . I did not do any thing till 2014 ,I was busy raising my son ,then I started my usmls prep took my step 1 in April 2014 score 239 in first attempt and then took step 2 ck in July 2015 any score 250 I. First attempt .now I passed my CS exam In January 2016 .i did 6 mo the observership in a private community hospital from September 2015 till February 2016, now doing externship with haemoncologist ,and will start externship in internal med and peadiatric clinic soon.i don't have any research or residency program based clinical experience .but I have green card as visa status .can u help me how to fill my gap on Cv.and what are my chance of match for 2017 match .how to improve my cv further .i m preparing for step 3 also.i really appreciate ur feedback
Well you do not need to fill your CV gap with lies. I am assuming you are a female doctor. Once I read a biography of an associate program director. She study for USMLE 10 years after her graduation. She wrote after graduation I got married and took care of my family. Once my kids grow up. I decided to resume my medical career so I study for USMLE and applied for residency.
You can mention similar story in your personal statement. If you enter fake data, your chances will be low. So better tell the truth.

Good Luck
I agree with pth. I would make sure that i clearly reflect on your experience in your personal statement and explain the rationale behind your decision. This could also relate somehow to your past experience in growing up... I would not lie a single bit neither exaggerate. Just state it as a fact.
As for your chances, I think your scores are quite decent and that you are doing what it takes to improve our chances which is to have the externships and the clinical experience. I would strongly suggest that you gather letters of recommendations from the US form recent clinical encounters. I wouldnt worry too much about research in your case. Glad you decide to go back to medical residency.

@ pth and tesla , thank you so much for ur feedback. according to my current position what are my chances of residency for 2017 match.
@allama, send me an email at letmeinwillya , I have similar profile and I applied this year. Let's hope for the best come Monday!!
@ Jane2016, thank you so much Jane I will send to email soon .i appreciate ur feedback .
@pth +@others,

How would you address a CV gap of 4 years and not yet a practicing doctor and not doing anything related to medicine other than just being a degree holder after medical school? I graduated but did not practice or get any other residency training.

I was trying to raise a family, had some non-med job interests which occupied my time and tried studying for the usmle's, failed a few times on step 1 and step 2ck but eventually passed. I passed cs on 1st attempt.

I haven't applied before to residency and my interest to practice medicine and get trained in residency came back to me these last months. I was planning on finding externships and get LORs in the US to do for the next 6-7 months and apply for step 3.

I will have to explain those in my PS but am just thinking on how to address those things. allama's post is nice and will give good success because of their background training and dedication. I am wondering what I can do similarly in my situation.

Spotting liars is easy. It's part of a program directors primary directive. To find liars and persecute them on the spot.
@dabo.. Your attempts in USMLE are red flags. There should be a genuine reason of not practicing medicine after medical school. This strongly shows your interest in non-medical profession and if you are IMG program director will think of you as a person who just because doctor because of family pressure or etc.

If you are a girl- You can add that you got married an have to take care of your family. and then you can say I recently moved to United States and I visited one of the hospital and I was amazed to find the technology, the training doctor compassion. All these things motivated me and started preparing for USMLE.

You need to write your statements with original facts and then ask some experienced person to modify it.

Good Luck
Thanks @pth & @ryanhope for the reality warning Smile

I do understand the limitations and appreciation to my situation compared to other applicants. There was nothing to circumvent my past to lie. I'll have to be upfront and honest about it and will need to put it in words and actual real talk also.

Those non-med interests were useful at the time and now I can see how those could be implemented with medical training. I started a consulting business for marketing and had a few successful projects from that.

I knew once residency began, I would never have the opportunity to explore those other interests and now that those have been experienced, I'm ready to fully dedicate to serving others. There was no way I could do everything and some of the reasons I didn't pass on those usmle attempts. I've stopped the other work and handed it off for someone else to now take over and took my compensation for it.

I don't have any visa issues and I hope Step 3 and those future externships will help. I'm also going to try and find some work if anyone will hire for something related to the medical side but ultimately, the focus is going to be as much clinical exposure I can further find; be it as a volunteer or employee. For residency, I'm only seeking primary care family medicine and will apply to the entire country that closely matches usmle, clinical experience and graduation criteria.

I know it's not the most common situation but am sure others may have been in such a situation and just wanted to hear of other success stories.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »