Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOAP iv question: why you did not match? - successfulmatch2016
Hi, everyone.

Let's hope for the best but prepare for the worst?

How we should answer this question during SOAP interview: why you did not match?

Best of luck to everyone!

Thanks!
I don't think IMGs have a good chance in the SOAP, generally speaking. But if anyone is fortunate enough to get an interview from it, then I think the only way to answer that question is to be honest.

- Low Step 1 score? They'll want to know why.

- Low Step 2 score? They'll want to see why your score wasn't better than or at least equal to Step 1, and whether you'll be able to pass Step 3

- Long time since YOG... kind of speaks for itself, but what they will probably want to know is what you've been doing since then and how you have stayed connected to your field of interest

- No USCE or US-LORs... they'd probably want to know how you will fit in to the US system and whether you've had any exposure at all to it, and whether you've ever acted at an intern level in your field

- Miscellaneous red flags... they will need reassurance about why they happened and how you can ensure those things won't happen again if they take the risk of accepting you to their program

Whatever YOU think stopped you from matching, may have been it. You can only guess and be honest and reassuring about it. I don't know if PD's normally even ask that question, as they probably can see your whole CV anyway and figure it out themselves. If your CV is pretty good and you still didn't match and had multiple interviews, it might make them wonder if you have good command of English and whether your personality is deficient in some way. Tongue A normal conversation should be able to reassure them that's not the case (unless it is the case).
Unipsychsl:
Thank you for detailed input. Very useful!
Hopefully I will not need this advice.
Very thankful!
Respond with: Why is your program in SOAP?

ryanhope's advice will never lead you astray. He is a wise man.
LOL @ryanhope
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »