Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matched in IM. Dont lose hope(unmatched applicants - sanjay_here
I matched in Internal Medicine but I was like you and unmatched last year. I know it hurts initially but the wise thing is to collect yourself and plan for future. Learn from your mistakes. Find out what went wrong and correct that. Ask for help from others. If I can do it then all of you can do it too. Best of luck!
congrats!
Can you please guide me what you did to improve. I didn't match this year.
@fruit.cake: Thanks buddy

@ssaarz6:

Look at your CV as what is missing? Is it US clinical experience, research, strong letters of recommendations? How are your interview skills? Did you practice for interviews? These things vary from person to person, and only you can find out as what is missing and what caused you to go unmatched?
What I did differently?
1) I searched programs properly this time.
2) I applied broadly.
3) I practiced for interviews and was completely myself during interviews.
4) I did a lot of research, gained more US clinical experience and got strong letters of recommendations (impress attending who can strongly recommend you to programs).
5) Help others and don't be mean to others. Karma/God will help you back for that.
6) When you are genuinely nice, it shows up during interviews and will help you score some extra points.
7) Worked harder than previous year. The harder I worked, the luckier I got.

P.S: Some people get interviews by calling or emailing programs and showing their interest.

That's all I remember for now.
Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, best of luck to you!
Do you mean calling the programs during the SOAP? Isn't that considered a violation of the rules?
@Duke

That's what I was wondering? Is it a strict rule to not contact programs during SOAP?
@pioneerdr : Thank you

@duke and bughit: I was talking about interview season( from september till february) and not contacting programs during SOAP.
@ sanjay_here can you please share your program list? my email is oldgrade2010. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate your help. I know there is something wrong the way I compile my application as I have 223/250/passed all in first attempt. YOG is 2015 from a Caribbean program. US citizen. The only thing I can think is my age.I am in my mid forties and this is my second time going to a med. school. If you can share your program list that will be helpful.My email is ssaarz6 I wish you a happy and bright future.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »