Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MATCHED!! The saga.. - pak786
I wanted to chime in and share a part of my experience.

Step 1: 214 (1st attempt)
Step 2: 213 (1st attempt)
Step 2 CS: Pass (1st attempt)
YOG: 2012
LORs: 3 US and 1 overseas
USCE: 2 Observerships (private practice) 60 days each
Research: None
Publications: None
Visa status: Permanent Resident

As you can see, I do not have that great of a CV. I applied last season without being ECFMG certified to about 100 programs in IM and about 10 programs in FM. I had completed Step 1 and Step 2 CK, but I gave Step 2 CS in November 2014. I was able to manage three interviews. I was new to the interview process and I explained that my CS result would be released before ranking deadline. I received my CS pass result approximately two weeks before ROL deadline. I notified the three programs. Unfortunately, I did not match. I knew that it was a long shot to get interviews and match without being ECFMG certified, but my husband insisted I go for it. I am glad I did because I gained valuable experience regarding interview performance and the like. Moreover it was a huge confidence builder for me personally.

Moving forward to the next season, I realized that there was not a whole lot I could do regarding the strength of my application. I could have attempted to get a research position, start an MPH, etc. Due to having a small child I was restricted in moving away for these types of positions. I decided to continue getting some clinical experience through observerships so I could ask for fresh LORs. The next part and I feel a very important aspect was my personal statement. It was written all over again and critiqued multiple times until we felt we had the best possible personal statement. It was commented on positively multiple times during my interviews. During this season, my husband did online research and he decided we should apply broadly. I applied to 175 IM programs and 10 FM programs. I was able to secure 6 interviews (another story in itself). Five of the interviews were IM and one was FM. I felt like I did well in all of the interviews. I did countless hours of interview practice/coaching with my husband. This proved to be very helpful in the real interview.

I knew that every season and year passes my chances of matching would diminish due to YOG. We knew that the name of the game was to get an IV. After that we knew that it would be based on performance at time of interview. I understand that this whole process is daunting and exhausting. I learned yesterday that I matched. I would like to add to the others that did not match to have faith and more importantly find a way to be persistent. It is difficult to do considering the amount of money involved, time, and stress. To the others that matched a congratulations is in order. I know that all of this is easier said than done, but try not to give up and throw in the towel. I hope this helps someone out there. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I will be happy to try and help.
congratulations Pak786. you finally did it. am happy you were able to balance family and career. a big hand shake to your husband for his continued support. lucky you to have him.
Pls could you guide me on how to have LORs and usce in Us. any reference or link would be appreciated.Thank you. All the very best. email uchesco007
Thank you. I will email you. Where are you at in the process?
Congratulations on your success. I am also in this journey and trying my best to improve my cv because I do not have good credentials. If you can help me where can I get usce and if I need to do PHD or MPH. Any help would be appreciated. My email address usmle.exam2
Congratulations @pak786 !! So happy for u (:

Can u please give me your Skype id or email address so that I can contact u personally?

Please..
If not then here's my email docmahreen90 plz drop me an email..
Congratulations!! Hats off to you and your husband!
Congratulations!!
I need some help regarding usce.thanks
e-mail:vleecpp
congratulations!!!
could u plz mail me ur personal statement ( i know i cannot copy ur personal statement but would like to read it to know how u wrote it and what aspects u addressed in ur personal statement since ur story is very similar to mine..i hope i can get soome inspiration from it!)
also, how did u obtain ur usce
thanks in advance and all the very best!
email me at residency4usmle
I MATCHED and we will open envelopes at our school this Friday! I will get one of the three spots at my top program! I had IVs had all nine programs in my state but only ranked my top two! I guess I will go through this same scenario for my fellowship in 4 years. My credentials: step 1(first attempt) was 237, step 2CK(first attempt) 254, step 2 CS passed with first attempt; I received honors in the majority of my clerkships and classes. I am married with a husband and we have a five year old. I could not have done it without my family's support including my mother who is a surgeon! Yippee!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »