Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sincere advise needed. - drwhizpeds

Hi guys... Congrats for all those who have matched!!

I am an IMG from India. I gave my step 1 in 2012. The score was very bad as I was not well, score was 208. Also I did USCE for 4-5 months in a very reputed hospital in the same year. Later due to some reasons, I couldn't continue my usmle preparation. Now I have joined MD com med in India since 1 year. Now I plan to prepare for matching right after my MD is finished.
I have done only step 1. I have heard that step 1 score gets invalid after 7 years.
Now my query is by the time I will apply for match, it would be already appr 6-7 yrs past my step 1. Should I give other steps and step 1 again. By this I would have opportunity to increase my step 1 score and increase the chances of match after 2- 3 years from now.

Please, I want some sincere advise. I am very much determined to prepare again. But I don't know what approach should I follow.
Please help guys. Need some guidance.
Re-taking the step1 with an outstanding score will definately dramatically increase your chances of matching. I would just practice medicine in my home country if I got a score like yours. But I think it is better that you ask ECFMG whether programs will be able to see your previous low score.
Difficult situation.

My take: Call ECFMG and make some good inquiry. At 208, if there is an increase in the minimum passing score, this can drastically make you less competitive. Even if you cannot retake it, don't give yourself any headache, go all out for your CK, CS and Step 3. Get all your credential intact and face the match! If you read about credentials on this forum, you will discover that even great score are not a guarantee to match.

Finally: keep your heads high! you are a professional! stay focused. America is a country of dreams, every one has a decent chance despite scores, IV's, YOG, attempts, visa status, country. If there are odds, it is against everyone as much as it is against you.
@mszzeta @eightroad
Thanks for the reply.

I have searched on ecfmg and usmle.org sites but I couldn't find any clear answer regarding retaking a passed previous attempt. They say you can if it is because of the time limits and state licensing authority requires it but what is the time limit they don't mention.
Do you guys have any info on that.

After 7 years, you can re-take step 1. But I am not sure if programs will be able to see your previous scores. Ask ECFMG for that!
@mszzeta @eightroad
Thanks again guys!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »