Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Below par scores: Would really appreciate advice - silvertruck
195/215/CS/207(gave step 3 in December).

I had 2 psych interviews. Did not match. No research experience. Plenty of USCE and observerships. US citizen.
Applied to about 200 programs IM(130), FM(40), Psych(30).

2012 graduate.

What else should I do to improve my chances of matching?
Whenever I tell my scores to friends or someone I try to make a contact with they look down upon me instead of helping.

Sincerely require advice. :/
I am trying really hard to get into research. But with no luck as of now.
- I would apply broadly to img friendly programs who don't host visas in FM and psych. (like over 200 programs)
- i would gear my PS and AMCAS app toward each specialty and edit the heck out of them
- I would take the time to create a really striking PS - my PS showed all the different volunteering aspects I did that was geared toward FM
- I would get a clinical oriented job - medical scribe, research coordinator...and network with classmates who matched and ask their advice.

- during interviews- I would try to make a connection with PD and residents; I would show that I understand what 10 yrs down the road FM went. I practiced a lot fo different answers w/ different ppl
- write thoughtful thank you notes
- go back for second looks

I would say I had similar scores. I graduated recently. I did volunteer at AIDS action and did other things in my past and showed that I really cared about the field of FM and I knew how it was going to change with the affordable care act being implemented.

I mean after that - u just hope for the best.
I will say do more psych, you chance is higher with them ( you applied to 30 and got 2iv)
Do more in this specialty and apply next year.
Good luck
Thanks adhar978 and usmle 1900.

Just a question? what is AMCAS app?
I mean your myeras application entries for acitivities.
Another question please.

My CV shows observerships/externships in both IM and psych. Is that sort of a flag when I go and interview for FM and is thats why I did not get any FM interviews?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »