Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guidance for this next year's match - ah00
Hi I'm an IMG who's currently residing outside US. Im planning on giving CS late July or early August. And I want to apply this year for match. Does anyone have this kind of experience of giving CS late but still able to get interview calls and match? Any guidance will be much appreciated thanks!
It would be a waste. I can speak from personal experience. You really need to be ECFMG certified at time of application. If you give CS in late July or August you will not have the result released in time. You will greatly limit the number of interviews you receive.
You don't need to be ECFMG certified at the time of your application (I just received my certification a month ago). However, if I could give any piece of advice is to have your whole application done (with all your steps) by the Sept 15th date. Programs have thousands of applications to look through so why risk not having yours looked at by having an incomplete application? Do your CS earlier and get it done with, it's not a difficult exam.
Ideal thing is having ecfmg certificate by the time of application (sep 15)...there r ppl who were certified later and had ivs but remember on 15th almost 3000 applicants wud have applied( with mostly complete profile.why in the hell do u wanna be 3001 by applying late....
Passing cs is a must.
Some programs do require ecfmg cert
To be honest, I applied broadly and not one program I interviewed with asked me about when I was going to be certified. Of course if you have it that's great, if not I wouldn't sweat it. Step 2 CS however is important so get that done first and worry about getting certified later.
It can be done. Time & opportunity is more valuable than money.
I matched this year. 1st try in the match

I took CS sept 21, received rsult on Dec 2015... It was the earliest schedule I could get.
Step1 taken March 2015 (score 214)
Step2 ck taken Aug 2015 (score 242)

I then applied for match 75 IM & 15 FM on Oct 7..

Amazing how I was able to match less than 12 months from when I took step1... I was by the way advised not to waste money.. But i thot money I can waste, but not opportunity to join match.. And it was a good call.
@bekyahoo. Congrats! did u gain any clinical experience in Us/ observership pls kindly guide me on how to get one. you can send me a private msg or you can email me uchesco007 thanks. wish to start in July. dont have much money to spend in clerkship. thanks
I know a friend of mine paid for an observership in Pittsburg PA, don't know which hospital that is.

i just googled "internal medicine observership pittsburg" and this came up.

https://med.uth.edu/internalmedicine/edu...ervership/

you can also go to Freida so you can get the email adds of the PDs in your state, then email them to state your case.
---

I did not have Obs during application.. during IV, one PD noticed my lack of USCE, i was offered to do stay in the program for 4 weeks for obs. after completing the obs, i updated all other programs where I interviewed so that can have this crucial info when they decide where to rank me.
I matched this year despite not having my CS result back until December. It probably limited the number of interviews I got, but you have to ask yourself if sitting out another year and adding to you years since graduation is worth not taking the chance.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »