Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question for doctors who matched! - seonsaeng
First congratulations for the match.
Anyone of you guys matched without having USCE? is it a must?
if someone clears step1, 2ck, cs, all first attempt with decent scores, is it better to apply or wait for a year and get USCE & US LOR & then apply?

Thank you.

It is preferable but not required. If you are thinking about the next match you have plenty of time go for it
Good question.

Here is my take: USCE is both program and specialty specific. While some FM programs will require hands-on USCE, Pathology programs usually requires none. Take your time researching the programs and specialty, go to their website to find out specific requirements, call if in doubt. There are also some commercial lists that can be helpful with such information.

Finally: begin all your research way ahead of time. make up your mind about the specialties you want to apply to way ahead of September. Get any form of USCE you can. Hold your head high and remember you are a professional.

Good Luck to you.
@step3md & eigthroad Thank you for your replies
Hi seonsaeng!

Before this match, I had the same question that you have, and its hard to find a straightforward answer to this. But I can tell you about my own personal experience with this. I am happy to say that I matched! And in my case I didnt have any USCE. I did spend like 9-10 months working on a research project in an institution here in the USA, but that was not clinical and I dont know if it was something the programs took into account. I got good scores on the Steps (240s on both and 1st pass CS). While I didnt have a lot of interviews, I was lucky enough to match. I think you can do it too. Good Luck!
I have scores in 240s but just 1 month of paid USCE (externship). I belive that helped me to get some IVs (11 in total). However I'm pretty sure that had I at least 6 months I'd have secured more. So my opinion - get as much USCE as you can. It can broaden your opportunities.
@sholmes75 & pedmatch2016 Thank you so much guys really appreciate your replies.
You are welcome. To better address your question, I'd like to add that if your scores are above average by the time you've passed exams you can apply with little USCE (or without one), but if scores are around or below average, provided in your usmle exam report, it's better to gain as much USCE as possible, because this is something that will help you to convince PDs that your transition to residency is going to be smooth.

Again if you have an opportunity (money, family) to spend one year gaining USCE - it may help you to end up in better residency program. If you don'thave these opportunities just study hard Smile

All the best!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »