Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I almost lost hope of practicing medicine in US - obrx
Hi guys! I graduated medical school in 2010 and have been applying for residency since then, spending thousands of dollars every year with no results.
I already passed my usmle steps , have 100% US clinical experience and LORs and yet nothing.
After my application in 2014(four consecutive times) to residency without anything, i was ready to call it a wrap, to pursue other paths. Luckily for me, I ran into an old friend who was doing a 1 year internship program in Puerto Rico(currently practicing as a general practitioner in Florida). He explained to me how the internship programs work and the opportunities afterwards. He gave me some resources on how to apply, including the website residencyhack.com, which was helpful. By God's grace I got into one of the programs and I started in July 2015, even though i did not speak much spanish before i started.
Now I am done and I am a living witness of the opportunities after doing those internship programs.
So guys, never give up. Residency is not the only way to practice medicine in the US, explore your options, have plan Bs. Internship programs in Puerto Rico are great plan Bs if you cannot get into a residency program.
Thanks guys!

Peace out
congrats on finding another way. which hospital did u finish your internado? i am thinking of applying as well
SPAM!
@jen11 - thank you. I did it in a HIMA hospital. I think you should apply there too, especially the ones in Cupey and Fajardo. Very good training and experience.

@ silvertruck- I really do not have anything to say to you. You are entitled to your opinion
good info, how can I contact you?
Can some one elaborate on the Puerto Rico internship ?I tried searching online and could not find any official information about this.
@tmo20 - you can email me at dr.obrx, I'll do my best to reply once I can.

@john2017- they are one year post grad internship training in some approved hospitals in Puerto Rico, very similar to transitional year residency, which upon completion you will be eligible for a full unrestricted license to practice medicine in Puerto Rico as a general practitioner. With the PR license, you are also eligible for Florida Medical license to practice in Areas of Critical need( which is almost majority of Florida). Also with the license, you can practice in any federal facility in any state, like health departments and correctional facilities. Also be able to practice in Indian health services clinics. So the list goes on and on.
I know a friend in Montana making $250k, another in Arizona making $200k. Florida pays well too, anywhere from 130 to $160k depending on where you go.
I just finished and am looking at similar offers too. You can also work in PR and make some good money too( they are short of doctors there)
There is really not much info about the program's online. The only site I found helpful, like I said earlier was residencyhack.com
In my program, I did 2months Internal medicine, 2 months surgery, 2 month peds, 2 months ER, 2 months OB/Gyn, and one month elective in radiology and one month vacation. We did calls every 5 days and I spent most of the time in the ER, full hands on. Even though it was a year long, I feel comfortable dealing with patients alone, because I worked hard to learn.
I feel blessed for the opportunity. I encourage anyone stuck in the residency process to consider this option. It helped me and am sure it will help others too, that is why I am taking my time to post in this forum( I don't have to, but I am).
Good luck!
Internado is for people who are going to practice in Puerto Rico. You shouldn't do it if you're going to stay. You're wasting out state's resource.
@jjrodz - I served my time in Puerto Rico for one year, worked hard in a community hospital, was of service to my patients, helped out in areas that I could. And for your information, I received no payment for a whole year while at it. So you have no right to come here to tell me where to practice with my license. So for all the Puerto Rico trained medical graduates that flee to the mainland to do residencies to return back to PR to practice, are they wasting other states resources? Please don't come one my thread to speak on things you don't know. Thank you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »