Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 2017 Family Medicine Residency Thread - diverticulosis
Hello, many of you have seen me on this forum and I have been unable to match for the past 3 cycles. I took Step 3 last fall and passed with no residency yet. This will be my last time applying so I wanted to start this family medicine thread to help us on the way to the official results in March.

If you plan on applying for family medicine, please use this thread to first add your stats i.e. yog/step scores/how many programs applied, etc. I will start it off...Good luck to everyone!

*Late 2013 Carib grad (not from big 4), 200+(1st attempt)/240+(1st attempt)/CS Passed (2nd att)/Step 3 Passed 216(1st attempt), All US clinical rotations, 3 letters of recommendation from US physicians, Currently working in an allied health field. Hoping for some good news this year, good luck to all Smile
This year will be my first attempt.

2013YOG, Step1: 215, CK: 220, CS (2nd-attempt), Step3: 201
No USCE in 2.5yrs. Working on getting some between now & September. Was paying the bills with some research jobs.
US GC holder.

Don't know what to do.
HI there - it's been a while since I've been on the boards. I applied 2x before - in 2014 & 2015.

I didn't apply last cycle & won't be applying this cycle either - instead, I'm in the 2nd year of my 3-year PharmD, getting prepped to apply in September 2017 as an MD/PharmD, hopefully for FM & IM. There's so much insecurity but satisfaction too when I see people who used to be in this struggle with us have moved onto bigger & better things in life. I'm genuinely sorry to see ur still here tho diverticulosis - I know u got a wife & a kid.

I'll be rooting for you son.
@leesooman can you tell me more about this MD/PharmD program you're doing? Where are you doing this program? And how do you think that's going to help you on the long run?
Thank u leesooman. It is bitter sweet when u see everyone u know get residency, and for me this will be it. If I don't match this year then it wasn't meant to be. I'll have to use my degree in another manner. But thanks for the kind words man hope u rock that PharmD program.
@usmleexams10 - it's a PharmD program for 3yrs. I'm a 2013 IMG. I've always been interested in rural/underserved med so I applied to FM both times in 2014 & 2015. My next application will be both FM/IM. FM & IM are both medication heavy, not a lot of emphasis on procedures. And even if residency don't work out in the 2018 cycle, I'll have a pretty good job which I'll be happy doing. The real downside is my YOG will be 4yrs for the next application cycle, which is scary.

@diverticulosis - it's all about timing son. & effort. I was really happy to see clue matched last year bc I know how hard he was trying when we went thru the match together. Ur time is coming too.
@leesooman Thank you for your response. So what sort of jobs can you get into with that program? And is this in the states? I'll give you my email so that respond through there. It's usmleexams10 . I'm trying to keep my options open so if you can provide more info on this, it would be very helpful.
@usmleexams10 - sure. I'll email u.
Hi Lessoo and diverticulosis

I remember both of you through our match struggles.
I'm rooting for you!

If you have any questions about the match please feel free to let me know
I am a bit busy this month on inpatient and night floats but I'll reply as soon as I can
Thanks clue! It's great to hear from you & I was so happy that you matched (not just happy for u, but happy for us too bc our profiles weren't too unsimilar, so if u can do it, we can too Smile ). I am trying to get myself prepped to apply next year, but trying to figure out where to do externships. Can you help me out on where you got your observerships & externships?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »