Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infectious Disease section on CK- struggling - dr.anna19
hey guys

i am really struggling on the infectious disease portion of internal medicine. i just cant seem to get a good grasp on it. i am so confused on what medication to use when. i went over the step 1 microbiology portion as well as a refresher but its just so hard to memorize all the drugs for various conditions.

is anyone else also having trouble?? am i only one?

any tips on how to get a grip on infectious?

please advise

thank you
seriously guys??? no one will reply and try to help me out?
Same here.
1. know your Antibiotics well all of them, know which ones are just for gram neg or aneorbs or , but now when to use them simple make a relation between the infection and antibiotics, for example a person has pneumonia and is diabetic what kind of organism would be it could be stap, strep or gram neg and now u can use an AB that covers all amoxaclline/clavulanate or if it specifically mentions klebseilla common in diabet pts or pseudomonas or aneorbs just give them what they ask for it.
2 Practice it in the form of question the more question u do the better u understand
3. For viral infection and fungal there are only few drugs know them as well and give them when asked make sure to know the side effects u may discontinue or lower the dose
I am an expert but this is my two percent
Mtb 2 does a decent job, but the best thing is to take your time tackle it in your own way, that is to draw out a flow chart, in detail. For example, write the disease the causative organism then write all the ab's or the other way around, and do this wherever you have difficulty and make it portable so that you can carry it eith you anywhere. if you havr time and want to master it, i would suggest lippincott's microbiology qand a. Draw put crazy wacky diagrams or use picmonic. Try to find ways but make sure u master it, it is ok if it is taking a while but as long as ur working towards it and trying you are good. Better to be prepared more rather than less.

Honestly there is some degree of memorization that is unavoidable in this section.

Goodluck!

Cheers!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »