Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failed step 3 for the second time - denixav
how soon a person can apply? and give exam?
Hi, I failed my step 3 second time too last month and am unable to cope up with the depression following the results. I wanted to post a separate message but didn't want a duplicate plus I had some answers already from this post. Only difference is I did my step 1 and 2 like 10 years back and way forgotten my step 1and 2 topics. I took my step 3 first time 3 yrs back and failed. I joined my residency and repeated my step 3 now and failed again. I did the UW questions and ccs both times. I felt I did the cases ok on exam. All the cases ended earlier than the time allotted for the case, though few cases ended before I entered the diagnosis. Is that a problem? My first time ccs was to the right and this time was to the left. I don't know what I did wrong. I know I am missing something in my prep. Please someone guide me my plan for my next attempt to pass this exam which I booked in December. I am so depressed. I have a busy non clinical PgY3 residency going on as well. Please help me plan. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.
I would advise to have opinion from Dr.Raj [drraj78] - usmle teacher, he would advise about your further plans and strategies.
I am guessing you are weak in your step 2 knowledge. Take a look at your score report where it says how you did on "diagnosis". I think it might help to go over UW step 2 to review diagnosis and go over UW step 3 and understand the concepts. YOu have to be able to retain the information and recall the information in a short amount of time on the test. Work on your weak areas as noted in your score report for both UW 2 and UW3.

CCS is easier to study for than the MCQs. You have to ace the CCS (make sure performance is as far right as possible). Go over CCS cases in UW as many times as possible and note, in each case, what you are consistently missing in terms of orders. Write those down on a notecard and constantly test yourself.

Lets says a case of Turner syndrome, you keep on forgetting to order lipid profile, echocardiogram and renal ultrasound. Write those down on a notecard and on the other side write what tests would you order for Turner syndrome and see if you can remember those that you consistenly miss.

When you practice a lot of cases you know basic orders to workup a case like EKG, CXR, UA, etc. Being able to diagnose a case is not hard on CCS (for most cases at least). You have to remember how to treat the condition.

You may go into a test and theres a case of TTP. Youve diagnosed it but you forgot how to treat it and the patient doesnt get better. In some cases, all you need is conservative treatment but you end up doing surgery when it is not indicated and case ends because you did an invasvie procedure when it was not indicated (like surgery for uncomplicated acute diverticulitis). Case will end because you did the wrong procedure, ot because you managed the patient correctly.

MCQs are tough if you are not in a IM/FM/EM field. You have to basically memorize thousands of facets which you would be easier if you had first hand experience. But it can be done. Find out a study method that will help you retain the information.

Go over UW but dont just memorize answers, you have to understand the material so that you will be able to answer the question on a particular topic no matter how the question is worded or presented.

Good luck.
Sorry meant to say you managed the patient incorrectly in above post.

II. This helped me.
B. Finally got USMLE done!.
a. Email
i. Enycity
1. At gmail
a. USMLE Tutor
i. In subject header
@tklerts... thank you for your feedback. it means a lot to me, esp sparing time to explain me with example. will work on my deficits seriously.
steptutors dot com
I think more questions, im interested in Archer qbank but im not sure though
What is your scheduled test date? How is the studying for CCS doing?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »