Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Aid CK users: how many days to finish it? - drofooey
I just ordered the 9th edition of First Aid CK from amazon! I have my exam in 3 weeks and will be finished with uworld this week. Will take assessments at the end of the week (haven't done any yet).

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to read through it?

How many pages should I set aside per day and does it do a decent job at highlighting things from uworld? Any major errors?

I just felt like I needed something to read as an overall guide and don't plan on writing any notes into it. I didn't use any other books outside the uworld questions online.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Depends on how good your foundation is. If it is solid (you already did Kaplan videos or Onlinemeded) it will be easy to read 40-50 pp in 3-4 hours. However, if your base of knowledge is weak it will take a lot longer because every fact will be new to you.
The Book is dense, much more than MTB .. I've used both , it will take time to adjust to the style of text and break down, but that book is full of fine details , i'm on my 2nd read before my exam in few days and i'm noticing few things that i missed on my 1st read . This book shines in PEds, GYN , ID and Derm .. other sections are great but if i was short on time i would start with those sections .
hei ppl I have FA 7 th edition , Do u have 9th edition pdf link ??. if u share it will be a big help frnd. Thanks .
That's great to hear and thanks for the idea estimation cylack. I did watch some of the onlinemeded videos and they're ok for some primer stuff but the test goes far deeper from what I've seen on lots of uworld questions!

Well, I'm almost done with uworld and so hopefully nothing will look too daunting from the first aid ck book, it was really just for an organizer to refresh little things! I heard ck is not really all about fact recall memorization like where some of that would help more if you were taking step 1.

I don't know how you managed to juggle both MTB + First Aid CK compaq1 and get everything straight on top of things from uworld's concepts. I initially was starting with MTB but had to drop it because of either things lacking, superficial or just flat out different from uworld's explanations. The only thing I can say somewhat positive to MTB was if you ignored all the Dx+Rx algorithms lol. I've seen the earlier edition of first aid ck from a long time ago and it's similar to the step 1 first aid. How that helps one is unique I guess since it seems all the books though will fall short of that.

Good luck on your exam and if you get some time, let us know what you thought of it!!

I used MTB as an Intro to CK and during my IM shelf prep .. it's currently in my basement and will soon be in my trash lol

lol. I just got the First Aid ck 9th edition book from amazon today with the next day shipping!

You're right as how dense it is! I'm noticing a lot of similar facts from uworld in there. The cardio section isn't organized that great but overall, looks pretty good for quick reminders!

I can see where cylack was saying how it can be difficult to read without some background knowledge because there are many times where it might list a few key words and you'd have to know more of what it's about to appreciate it.

Ok good luck again!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »