Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal Medicine Match with Failed Step 3 !!! - nostalgiawala
Hi,
I am a NON US IMG. I am a graduate of 2015. I have Step 1 score of 229, Step 2 score of 239 and Step 2 CS Pass First Attempt. I tried to rush Step 3 considering it will boost my application with such a fresh YOG but unfortunately i failed my Step 3. What effect will it have on my Residency Application?
I have 3 US Observer ship LORs from University Settings and 1 Externship LOR. I also have 5 publications to my name. One is published from my home country and i got the rest 4 publications while doing observerships here in USA.
All PubMed and i am first author in 4 out of these 5 publications.
I plan to take Step 3 again in the end of October.

What are my chances of getting a match in IM with this failed Step 3 exam?

Any response/help will be highly appreciated. I am really worried and feeling doomed.

Plz let me know where i stand and what my chances are and how i can improve it to get matched ?

Thank you
Recent YOG is not a point against, you should have looked for advice on this.
Failure of a step looks bad but your application is strong overall. Also, failing step 3 will be a topic you will be asked on during your interviews. Guaranteed.

Hopefully programs will see the good points in your application and you can come up with an excellent excuse for failing step 3 or pass it before IVs.

Nothing you can improve to get matched now but your chances are probably better than many (old graduates, no LORs, lower scores, attempts)

And again, why, oh why would you rush step 3 with a decent application?
Actually i had a safe score in UWSA considering i would pass it. Thats why i took the date and appeared.

Failed by 1 mark 😢😢😢
How much does an Attempt on step 3 matters?
Does it hit as hard as a CS attempt?

Programs dont require Step 3 btw

What your take on this guys?
Do you require a visa and thus the reason you decided to take Step 3, because your application is decent.

Failing Step 2 CS is worse then failing Step 3 but failing it failing, it looks bad on your application no matter what. Because of the fail, you want to set your bar higher for Step 3 instead of just passing. Like aim for getting it greater then Step 2 CK scores to show programs you are improving thus the fail might not look so badly.

Also there is nothing you can do about it now, but I highly recommend you explaining it on your personal statement to strength your application. Rather own your mistake then them seeing it as a negative thing as most programs will not filter you out because of your Step 1 and Step 2 CK scores, but during review will see you failed Step 3, thus the reason to get ahead of it.

Best of luck on your match, and don't rush taking Step 3.
Hi, I am so sorry to hear about it. I passed step 3 by just 3 points above borderline so I understand how it feels to be in your position. I just want to tell you that if your CV is good overall, you should take chance to applying to programs that are img friendly. You should still ask more people.
Apply anyway with your old transcript
Dont release new transcripts until you have passed.
You will get interviews anyway.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »