Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predicting match outcomes from Step scores - interviewwithdavid
Applications are in. You may have submitted your ERAS already or are planning to in the next few weeks. You’ve gotten your personal statement done, the score reports are sent, and the LORs are in and now you’re waiting to hear back from programs. We’ll talk about a few evidence-based sources that can get you a sense of your likelihood of matching.

We’ll take a look at Family Medicine and Internal Medicine as a gauge of how IMGs are doing in the match. You may not have applied to either of these 2 specialties but the data on your respective choices would be found in the link below.

The overall match rate in 2013/14 cycle (where this data is based) for Family Medicine was 32% for an IMG and 43% for a Carribean IMG. For Internal Medicine, 48% of IMGs matched while 53% of Carribean IMGs matched.

Step scores are an easy-to-use predictor of success in the match, especially because getting a higher score means getting more interviews – it’s your foot in the door. With a Step 1 score of 220, you have about a 40-50% chance of matching. If you have a Step 1 score of 240, that figure is 60-70%. These statistics apply to international IMGs (not for Carribean/US IMGs).

For predictions based on Step 2, if you have a 220, that predicts a 40% chance of matching while a 240 equates to about 60% chance – very similar statistics.

There are a lot of people who are dismayed with Step 1/Step 2 scores in the 220s. But based on this data, it suggests that you are approximately on track with the mean – about a 40-50% chance of matching overall. This also doesn’t take into account the number of cycles applicants have applied in the match nor the number of takes they have repeated these tests or other tests. If it is your first application cycle and you have passed on the 1st attempt for everything, then likelihoods are a little higher.

If you take the example of Internal Medicine, you can see that the majority of people who matched had a Step 1 score between 220 – 250 (the dark blue bars are those who matched).

I’ve seen people match successfully with a score in the 210’s into Internal Medicine. While I’m less confident they would definitely be able to, it’s not something that makes matching impossible.

Finally, I do strongly feel that Step 1/2/3/CK scores are a relatively minor part of ranking an applicant. As many interviewers have said before to me, once they have the applicant in front of them, it’s more about how impressive they convey themselves to be during the interview. Ultimately, the committee that sits together to decide the program’s rank list goes off of the “feeling” or “impression” they get from the applicant as a whole. On the other hand, some do use a formula based system which weighs different factors like interview, LORs, scores etc. The data above was from ECFMG Charting Outcomes in the Match in 2014.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »